Guide to the Records of the Queens Jewish Center (Queens Village, NY), undated, 1897, 1925-2002
 
*I-471

Processed by Rebecca Gordon and Rachel Kranson (May 2006-May 2007)

American Jewish Historical Society

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, N.Y. 10011

Phone: (212) 294-6160

Fax: (212) 294-6161

Email: reference@ajhs.org

URL: http://www.ajhs.org

© 2014, American Jewish Historical Society, Boston, MA and New York, NY. All Rights Reserved.
Finding aid was encoded by Rebecca Gordon on April 24, 2007. Description is in English.

Descriptive Summary

Creator: Queens Jewish Center (Queens Village, NY)
Title: Queens Jewish Center (Queens Village, NY)
Dates:undated, 1897, 1925-2002
Abstract: Spanning from its inception and incorporation in 1925 to its culmination in 2002, the Queens Jewish Center collection highlights this congregation's wide-range of religiously oriented and secular educational activities, ceremonies, developments, events, and programs. Predominant in this collection are the reports, bulletins, financial, legal and property records, and meeting minutes. In addition, books, clippings, correspondence, pamphlets, programs, publications, negatives photographs are also contained with in this collections.
Languages: The collection is in English, Hebrew, Russian and Yiddish.
Quantity: 11.9 linear feet (13 manuscript boxes, 3 oversized boxes, 1 MAP folder)
Identification: I-471
Repository: American Jewish Historical Society
Return to the Top of Page

Historical Note

The Queens Jewish Center was created in Queens, New York, on July 14, 1925. According to the original eight founders, the neighborhoods surrounding Queens Village were in dire need of a Conservative house of worship. The closest congregation was located in Jamaica, Queens, which was too far of a distance for walking on Shabbat and High Holy Days. Therefore, the Queens Jewish Center was developed by its founders to serve Jewish families of the following neighborhoods of Queens, New York: Hollis, Bellaire, Bellerose, and Queens Village. One month later, on August 24, 1925, the founders held a community-wide meeting informing Jewish individuals about the incorporation of the Queens Jewish Center along with future plans about the Shabbat and High Holy Day services.

The original organizers of the Queens Jewish Center ran a storefront synagogue but soon realized that there needed to be a congregation owned building with rooms for a sanctuary and classes. In the 1920s, land in Queens was inexpensive and available due to the Works Project Administration, one of the "Depression Era" projects developed by Franklin D. Roosevelt. Thus, the Queens Jewish Center was able to acquire land on the corner of Hollis Court Boulevard and Jamaica Avenue in 1925. Over the next five years, as the congregation struggled to raise funds for the construction of the building, the Queens Jewish Center moved between four separate locations throughout Queens Village and Jamaica. With donations from the Jewish Welfare Board and a loan from the Bank of Manhattan Company, on May 11, 1930, the cornerstone was laid for the synagogue building. One year later, on May 8, 1931, the Queens Jewish Center held a three-day event celebrating the opening of the building. The festivities were widely covered in area newspapers, including the Queens Review and the Long Island Daily Press. In 1946, the land next door to the congregation was purchased for the creation of a parish home for the presiding rabbi of the congregation. For over 70 years, the Queens Jewish Center remained at 94-34 Hollis Court Boulevard until the congregation's closing in 2002.

The Queens Jewish Center considered itself not only a religious institution, but also a "Kehilah"- a community. Seeking to fulfill all the needs of its members, the Queens Jewish Center sought to provide its members with three aims: Beth Hatefilah - A House of Prayer and Worship offering daily Minyon, Shabbat, Friday evening services, Shabbat, Saturday morning services, and Festival and High Holy Day services; Beth Hamidrash - A House of Study and Learning offering cultural and educational programs such as Child and Youth Education comprising Sunday and Hebrew School as well as Adult Educational classes; and, Beth Hakneses - A House of Assembly offering social organizations such as Sisterhood, Men's Club, Hadassah, and Youth Programs.1 As evidenced by its active membership and participation in Beth Hatefilah, Beth Hamidrash, and Beth Hakneses, the Queens Jewish Center "serve[d] every segment of the community…through its over-all programming to making Jewish life, meaningful, dignified and joyful."2

From its inception, the Queens Jewish Center provided Jewish education and cultural groups for its youth members. In the fall of 1925, a young rabbi, Mr. Weissfell, was engaged to teach the newly formed Hebrew School. In the 1930s, the congregation formed the Boy Scout Troop, Girl Scout Troop, "Jordan Club" for post Bar Mitzvah boys, "Alizos Club" for teenage girls, and Young Peoples League for members in their late teens. Concomitantly, adults were active members and participants in a variety of community groups and organizations. In the inaugural year, 1925, the Ladies Auxiliary was founded with an annual membership of $1.00. By 1940, the Ladies Auxiliary was renamed "Sisterhood" and became affiliated with the National Women's League of the United Synagogue of America (now known as the Women's League for Conservative Judaism). The original men's club, Ray-Ouss (friendship) began in 1935 although it was later reorganized and renamed "Men's Club" in 1953.

The congregation was affiliated with various Conservative organizations, including: B'nai B'rith, Hadassah, Jewish Theological Seminary, United Jewish Appeal and the United Synagogue of America. The Queens Jewish Center was also active in supporting the Zionist movement, including Israel Bond Drives. In 1948, the Queens Jewish Center along with other Conservative Synagogues in Queens celebrated the creation of the State of Israel.

Membership reached a height in the late 1950s. During this decade, the Jewish community in Queens Village consisted of doctors, dentists, shopkeepers, lawyers, accountants, builders and contractors. Unable to provide seating for members during Friday night Shabbat services, in 1958 the center underwent renovations to expand the sanctuary and construct a catering hall, an office for the rabbi, an office for the clergy, a bride's room, a board room, a library, and four classrooms.

Throughout its existence, the Queens Jewish Center suffered from a high turnover of rabbinical staff. During the Great Depression and during the war years, this was primarily due to lack of funds. However, overtime, the Board of Directors and Board of Trustees along with congregants were dissatisfied with their selections. Replacements were difficult to find and secure. However, in September 1959, Rabbi Jacob Wendroff joined the Queens Jewish Center and served as spiritual leader for 32 years. As the rabbi for this congregation, Wendroff oversaw the 1969 merger and consolidation of Beth Israel Jewish Center with the Queens Jewish Center. Wendroff was successful; he achieved fundraising goals, developed an Adult Hebrew Group, and conducted a course entitled "Ethics of the Fathers" which met at his home. In addition, Wendroff implemented the congregation's "Annual Weekend" getaways at various New York State resorts and campgrounds. After his death, in 1991, the center retained Dr. Chaim Etrog, who acted as the rabbi from 1991 through 1998. Following his departure, the center once again had difficulty finding suitable rabbinical replacements.

Throughout the 1990s and early 2000s, the Queens Jewish Center suffered from dwindling membership. Rabbi Etrog, along with Board Members, Sisterhood, and Men's Club, actively solicited new members as well as pleaded for current members to attend services and programs. The Queens Jewish Center was affected by a change in the neighborhood demographics. Originally a predominately Jewish neighborhood, during this time, many Jewish family and businesses left the area.3 In addition, many of the original members and families passed away. With limited finances and members, by 2000, the Queens Jewish Center began to transfer their records to the American Jewish Historical Society. And, after 77 years of existence, in 2002, the Queens Jewish Center closed.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Content Note

The records of the Queens Jewish Center of Queens Village provide insight into a small, Conservative congregation in Queens, New York. Spanning from its inception and incorporation in 1925 to its culmination in 2002, the Queens Jewish Center collection highlights this congregation's wide-range of religiously oriented and secular educational activities, ceremonies, developments, events, and programs. The Queens Jewish Center materials are predominately comprised of clippings, correspondence, community, financial, legal, and property records, journals, and newsletters.

The majority of the collection consists of minutes of meetings for the following organizational groups: Board of Trustees and the Board of Directors (1932-1984, 1992-2000, 2002), Sisterhood which was originally known as Ladies Auxiliary (1940-1952, 1959-1984, 1992), and Men's Club which was originally known as Ray-Ouss (Friendship) (1945, 1953, 1973-1979). The Board of Directors and the Board of Trustees, Sisterhood, and Men's Club devotion to the Queens Jewish Center is amply documented throughout the materials. The minutes detail routine operational and functional matters, including religious and secular events, financial concerns, fundraising, and membership, amongst others.

Significant in this collection are the activities of the women belonging to the Sisterhood organization of the Queens Jewish Center. Primarily concerned with promoting the values of the congregation as well as fundraising efforts, the materials relating to Sisterhood portray their long-standing faithfulness dedication to their congregation and community.

A wealth of material relating to the Queens Jewish Center's chapters of Girl Scouts of the United States of America and Boy Scouts of America are contained in this collection. The items related to these organizations include enrollment rosters, operational materials, ephemera as well as activities, songs, and information on how the children could obtain merit badges.

Throughout its history, the Queens Jewish Center celebrated numerous events. Organized predominately by the Board of Directors, Board of Trustees, Sisterhood, and Men's Club, these events included anniversary dinners and dances, fundraisers, and weekend trips. Flyers, invitations, programs, budgets, and schedules detail these special occasions.

As the longest serving Rabbi of the Queens Jewish Center (1959-1991), the materials relating to Jacob Wendroff's tenure primarily consist of correspondence between congregants and organizations, pamphlets and invitations to celebrate his 18-year anniversary with the center, as well as his obituary in the New York Times. Of interest are the court documents and legal correspondence pertaining to the lawsuit between Wendroff's heirs and Queens Jewish Center.

The congregation's publications, The Journal and The Voice, represent an important aspect of this collection. As the monthly newsletter, The Voice (1932-2001) included substantial content about congregational events and news, messages from both the presiding Rabbi and President of the Board, as well as club, education, miscellaneous bulletins, and calendars of monthly and upcoming events.

The photographic images and negatives represent another strength of this collection. These items document the center's building, clergy, congregation, staff, and students. In addition, images of the following groups and organizations are also found within the collection: Queens Jewish Center basketball team, Brownies group, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Library Staff, Sunday and Hebrew School faculty.

Of particular note are the religious books and materials, including a rare, decorative Passover Haggadah that was published in 1897 in Vienna. Oversized items of interest include the building's surveys and architectural plans, blueprints and designs for the center's building and sanctuary; the Sisterhood scrapbook spanning from 1940 through 1952; and the Men's Club revised charter from 1953.

Materials detailing the early history and development of the Queens Jewish Center are sparse and largely consist of oral testimonies, newspaper clippings, and journal entries.

While many of the records for the Queens Jewish community have been lost, destroyed by fire, or discarded, overall this collection is representative of the majority of historical items pertaining to this congregation. As such, the Queens Jewish Center collection serves as a valuable primary source for historians and scholars interested in the Jewish Conservative Movement of America, in particular, and American Jewry, in general.

Return to the Top of Page

Arrangement

The collection has been arranged into thirteen series and oversized separate material listing as follows:

Return to the Top of Page

Access and Use

Access Restrictions

The collection is open to all researchers by permission of the Director of Library and Archives of the American Jewish Historical Society, except items that are restricted due to their fragility.

Use Restrictions

Information concerning the literary rights may be obtained from the Executive Director of the American Jewish Historical Society. Users must apply in writing for permission to quote, reproduce or otherwise publish manuscript materials found in this collection. For more information contact:
American Jewish Historical Society, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
email: reference@ajhs.org

Return to the Top of Page

Provenance

The Queens Jewish Center donated their records in 2005.

Return to the Top of Page

Preferred Citation

Published citations should take the following form:
Identification of item, date (if known); Queens Jewish Center (Queens Village, NY); I-471; box number; folder number; American Jewish Historical Society, Boston, MA and New York, NY.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page

Container List

The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.

 

Series I: Legal Documents, Constitution and Bylaws, undated, 1925-1996

English.
Box 1, Folders 1-5.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This series is comprised of legal documents relating to the incorporation, development, and operation of the Queens Jewish Center. Box 1, Folder 3 contains the bulk of the legal, financial and property records. The legal documents include the certificate and deed of incorporation of the center; the financial records include the insurance and mortgage for the center's location in Queens; and, the property records include the land purchase for synagogue burials in Elmont, New York. Box 1, Folder 5 is comprised of the 1967 revised constitution and bylaws of the Queen's Jewish Center. Box 1, Folder 4 holds the 1969 legal document outlining the agreement to consolidate the Beth Israel Jewish Center with the Queens Jewish Center. Box 1, Folder 1 consists of bequeathment and gifts to the center. Box 1, Folder 2 includes rules and regulations regarding cemetery plot purchases and burial at Beth David Cemetery located in Elmont, New York.

BoxFolderTitleDate
11Bequeathment1972, 1982-1984, 1991-1996
BoxFolderTitleDate
1 2 Cemetery Rules and Regulations 1973
1 3 Legal Documents 1925-1996
1 4 Merger with Beth Israel Jewish Center 1969-1970
1 5 Synagogue Constitution and Bylaws undated, 1967
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series II: Building, undated, 1942, 1945, 1956-1960, 1965, 1967-1968

English.
Box 1, Folders 6-11.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This series consists of materials relating to the property and main building structure of the Queens Jewish Center located at 94-05 222 Street in Queens, Village. Prominent among this series contents are the materials located in Box 1, Folder 10 which include plot diagrams and photographs documenting the property at 94-05 222 Street in Queens Village prior to the building of the center. Box 1, Folder 11 includes documents relating to a loan for a mortgage from the Reliance Federal Savings and Loan Association. Box 1, Folders 6-7 contains the "Building Fund Campaign" which is comprised of fundraising letters, materials, and solicitations; donor lists documenting contributions and pledges; and, the ledger maintained by the committee overseeing the development of the building. Box 1, Folder 8 relates to the design and decoration center's main sanctuary. In addition, there are two design renderings regarding both sanctuary seating and the bimah. Box 1, Folder 9 details the 1967 fire that caused significant damage to the center. In addition, an invitation and photographs regarding the celebration of the rebuilding of the synagogue are included in this file. The architectural blueprints for the redesign of the sanctuary are located in Box 15, Oversized Folder (OS2) 9. Box 15, Oversized Folder (OS2) Folder 3 holds the building surveys and architectural plans spanning a timeframe from 1956 through 1959. Lastly, Box 16, Oversized Folder (OS1) 1 consists of a commemorative plaque dating from 1942.

BoxFolderTitleDate
1 6 Building Fund (1f)undated, 1946, 1958-1960, 1968
1 7 Building Fund (2f)undated, 1946, 1958-1960, 1968
BoxFolderTitleDate
16(OS1)1Commemorative Plaque [Oversize] 1942
BoxFolderTitleDate
1 8 Fire and Rededication of Sanctuary 1967-1968
1 9 Furniture and Repair Contracts (Blueprints have been moved to Box 15(OS2), Oversize Folder 9) 1946, 1965, 1967
1 10 Plot Diagrams - Bellaire, Queens 1928
1 11 Reliance Federal Savings, Mortgage and Correspondence 1958-1960
BoxFolderTitleDate
15 (OS2) 3 Surveys and Architectural Plans [Oversize] 1956-1959
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series III. Membership, Board of Directors, Board of Trustees, undated, 1932-1984, 1992-2000, 2002

English.
Box 2 - Box 4, Folder 15.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This collection represents the entirety of the available records and minutes of the Queens Jewish Center Board of Directors, Board of Trustees, and Congregational meetings.

Subseries 1: Meeting Minutes, 1932-1976, 1979-1984

English.
Box 2, Folder 1 - Box 3, Folder 9.
Scope and Content:

This subseries contains minutes of meetings of the congregation, Board of Directors, and Board of Trustees. Unfortunately the minutes of meetings from 1925 through 1935 are missing, however according to documents found throughout this collection, these minutes were originally recorded in Yiddish by founding Secretary, Jacob Fox. Starting in January 1932, the majority of the entries for the meeting minutes contain the following subject headings:

· Committee Reports comprised of the following groups: Entertainment Committee, Finance Committee, High Holy Day Committee, House Committee, Membership Committee, Pledge Committee and School Board Committee;
· Communications;
· Unfinished Business;
· New Business;
· Good & Welfare.

The earlier meeting accounts can be found in Box 2, Folders 1-2. These documents span a time frame from 1932 through 1935. Researchers should note that some of the entries are difficult to read due to penmanship.

BoxFolderTitleDate
2 1 Regular Meetings 1932-1933
2 2 Regular Meetings 1933-1935
2 3 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1936-1938
2 4 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1938-1945
2 5 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1946-1947
2 6 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1947-1950
2 7 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1950-1951
2 8 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1951-1953
2 9 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1953-1958
BoxFolderTitleDate
3 1 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1958-1961
3 2 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings undated, 1961-1967
3 3 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1968-1971
3 4 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1971-1972
3 5 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1972-1974
3 6 Board of Directors, Board of Trustee Meetings 1974-1976
3 7 Board of Directors Meetings 1979-1984
3 8 Congregational Meetings 1979-1984
3 9 Shorthand Board Meetings 1949-1950

Subseries 2: Meeting Attendance and Miscellaneous Lists, 1965-1973

English.
Box 4, Folders 1-2.
Scope and Content:

This small subseries relates to the participants of various committees of the Queens Jewish Center from 1965 through 1973. Box 4, Folder 1 contains the names and attendance records of the Board of Trustees of the Queens Jewish Center spanning the time frame of 1965 through 1971. From these records it is easy to decipher which members served in the following roles: President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Financial Secretary, and Treasurer. The lists located in Box 4, Folder 2 outline the names of the individuals who headed the following committees from 1965 through 1973: Cemetery, Ritual, Insurance, Week-End, Journal, Cheer, Membership, Constitution, Bnai Brith, Arrangements, Education, Finance and House.

BoxFolderTitleDate
4 1 Attendance 1965-1971
4 2 Miscellaneous Lists 1965-1973

Subseries 3: Board of Directors and Trustees, undated, 1949-1984, 1992-1999, 2002

English.
Box 4, Folders 3-10.
Scope and Content:

This subseries holds the records of the Board of Directors and Trustees, spanning from 1949 through 1984, 1992 through 1999, and 2002. The records from 1985 through 1991 and 2000 through 2001 are not available. The bulk of the material describes the functions and operations of both boards. Of particular interest to researchers are the documents located in Box 4, Folder 9. One item is a handwritten ledger of the names of the center's Rabbi, Cantor, President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Financial Security, Treasurer, Board of Directors, Honorary Trustees, and Sisterhood. Similar ledgers are available both the Sisterhood's series and in the Men's Club series. Box 4, Folder 3 contains the names of members of the committees from 1965 through 1973. While Box 4, Folder 8 contains the election and nomination materials for officer and trustees of both boards during the following years: 1969, 1973 through 1974, 1981 through 1982, the documents in Box 4, Folder 10 hold the resignation letters written by board members corresponding to the dates 1952, 1965 through 1972, and 1981. Box 4, Folder 4 contains copies of a form letter written by the Board Secretary, Phil Fox, admonishing members of the Board of Directors who are absent from committee meetings. One of the highlights of this subseries is the written response to Phil Fox by Board Member, Jack Schaeffer. Installation reception invitations and pamphlets for Rabbi Joseph Levinson (October 25, 1959), Congregation and Sisterhood (1960 through 1965, 1968, 1976, 2002) can be found in Box 4, Folder 7. Box 4, Folder 5 consists of correspondence between Queens Jewish Center and various community groups and institutions such as State Assembly representatives, Congressional representatives, and Solomon Schecter School of Queens. Box 4, Folder 6 is comprised of correspondence between Queens Jewish Center and those individuals affiliated with the center including staff, vendor and members.

BoxFolderTitleDate
4 3 Committee Lists 1965-1973
4 4 Correspondence, Absenteeism 1968
4 5 Correspondence: Community Groups, Institutions 1967-1975
4 6 Correspondence: General undated, 1952, 1965-1984, 1992-1999
4 7 Installation Receptions 1959-1968, 1976, 2002
4 8 Officers and Trustee Elections 1964, 1973-1974, 1981-1982
4 9 Record of Temple Officers 1949-1970, 1978-1979
4 10 Resignations 1957, 1965-1972, 1981

Subseries 4: Membership, undated, 1952, 1965-1969, 1972-1973, 2000

English.
Box 4, Folders 11-15.
Scope and Content:

This subseries contains materials regarding membership at the Queens Jewish Center. The documents can be classified into the following three categories: 1) congregational members; 2) solicitations of membership to the Queens Jewish Center; 3) termination of membership to the Queens Jewish Center. Box 4, Folder 11 includes documents imploring congregational members to become more active participants in the running and operation of the Queens Jewish Center. Box 4, Folder 13 lists the congregational members of the Queens Jewish Center from 1972 through 1973. Another version of this list is undated. Box 4, Folder 14 holds membership solicitations to individuals residing in Queens Village and in the vicinity of this neighborhood. Box 4, Folder 12 is comprised of membership applications and a pamphlet. The pamphlet outlines the "Aims and Purposes" of the Queens Jewish Center by providing potential members with a brief overview of the history, congregation, child and youth education, and various local and national organizations affiliated with the center. Box 4, Folder 15 holds termination of membership letters. The majority of these letters do not contain explanations for termination.

BoxFolderTitleDate
4 11 Congregational Meetings about Membership 1965, 1968-1969, 2000
4 12 Membership Applications and Informational Brochures undated
4 13 Membership List undated, 1972-1973
4 14 Membership Solicitations 1965-1969
4 15 Termination of Membership 1952
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series IV: Finances, 1949-1982, 1992-1999

English.
Box 4, Folders 16-22.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This series is comprised of the financial documents of the Queens Jewish Center. Included are accounting records, such as invoices, ledgers, financial reports and statements. Additionally, budget and estimates, clergy contracts and salary records can be found. The bulk of this collection consists of the financial reports from the Minute Books spanning from 1952 through 1967. This material can be accessed in Box 4, Folder 20 and in Box 4, Folder 21. The center's Financial Ledger from 1991 through 1995 can be found in both Box 4, Folder 18 and in Box 4, Folder 19. Box 4, Folder 16 contains the center's Budget and Estimations. It is important to note that while some of this material is typewritten the majority of it is hand-written and may be difficult to read due to penmanship. Box 4, Folder 17 consists mostly of clergy (both cantor and rabbi) contracts and salary records. Documents relating to the employment of Jacob Wendroff, Joseph Pollack, Joseph Wichelewski, Eugene Flam, Boris Pevsner, and Israel Etrog are included in this series.

BoxFolderTitleDate
4 16 Budget and Estimations 1949-1955, 1969
4 17 Clergy Contracts and Salary Records 1968-1999
4 18 Financial Ledger (1f) 1991-1995
4 19 Financial Ledger (2f) 1991-1995
4 20 Financial Reports from Minute Books 1952-1960
4 21 Financial Reports from Minute Books 1961-1967
4 22 Invoices 1973-1975, 1992
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series V: Rabbi Jacob Wendroff, 1972-1977, 1991-1995

English.
Box 5, Folders 1-5.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title

Scope and Content:

This series relates to the career of Jacob Wendroff, Rabbi of Queens Jewish Center from 1959 through 1991. Box 5, Folder 1 contains Wendroff's correspondence with congregants, corporations, and government agencies. Box 5, Folder 3 consists of documents relating to the center's Chai (18-year) celebratory party for Wendroff. These materials in these two folders provide insight into Wendroff''s role as the spiritual head and leader of his congregation. Box 5, Folder 5 has Wendroff's New York Times obituary and his last will and testament from 1991. However, the bulk of the material in this collection pertains to the lawsuit between the Queens Jewish Center and Wendroff's estate. The legal contention between the two parties pertained to the legal ownership of the home in which Rabbi Wendroff resided during his ministry at the Queens Jewish Center. Box 5, Folder 4 is comprised of legal counsel's materials (spanning from August 12, 1991 through July 18, 1995) in regards to the lawsuit. An official court record, Wendroff Estate v. Queens Jewish Center (1992) is located in Box 5, Folder 2.

BoxFolderTitleDate
5 1 Correspondence 1972-1976
5 2 Court Record, Wendroff Estate v. Queens Jewish Center 1992
5 3 Party for Wendroff's 18th Anniversary 1977
5 4 Wendroff Estate Lawsuit, Lawyer's Records [See also Photographs] 1991-1995
5 5 Wendroff New York Times Obituary and Will 1991
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series VI: Religious Books, Pledges and Programs, undated, 1897, 1951, 1955, 1957-1958, 1960-1964, 1966-1976, 1979, 1992, 1996-1999

English.
Box 5, Folders 6-9.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This series contains an assortment of materials relating to religious books, pledges and programs. Box 5, Folder 6 consists of High Holiday Pledges and donations to the center. MAP 1 is comprised of High Holiday Seating Charts spanning a 14-year time frame. Box 5, Folder 7 contains material regarding religious celebrations held by the center, including: Hanukah, Passover, and Shabbat. Box 5, Folder 9 consists of Shabbat programs outlining announcements, orders of services, and center news. Box 5, Folder 8 contains religious books including: two copies for Memorial/Yizkor Service, "Scroll of Esther" with a modern translation by Rabbi Alfred Kolatch (1955), "Song Book" of Beth Israel Center (undated), "The Story of Pesach" published by Manischewitz Matzos (1945). Significant in this collection is "Passover Haggadah" published in 1897 in Vienna.

BoxFolderTitleDate
5 6 High Holiday Pledges 1960-1963, 1967-1975
BoxFolderTitleDate
MAP1 1 High Holiday Seating Charts [Oversize] 1964, 1966-1968, 1970-1975, 1979
BoxFolderTitleDate
5 7 Holiday Guides, Letters, Programs undated, 1951, 1957-1958, 1976, 1996-1999
5 8 Religious Books 1897, 1955
5 9 Shabbat Programs undated, 1968-1969, 1992
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series VII: Events, undated, 1930-1960, 1965-1975, 1978-1980, 1982-2000

English.
Box 5, Folders 10-17.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This collection represents the entirety of the documents pertaining to Events held by the Queens Jewish Center. Included in this collection are Synagogue Sponsored Events and Miscellaneous materials relating to events at the center.

Subseries 1: Synagogue Sponsored Events, undated, 1930-1960, 1965-1975, 1980, 1982-2000

English.
Box 5, Folders 10-16 and Box 15 (OS2), Folder 4.
Scope and Content:

This subseries contains a variety of announcements, flyers, invitations, materials, and materials relating to events held by the Queens Jewish Center. The documents located in Box 5, Folder 11 may be of particular interest to researchers as the contents include accounts, newspaper articles, and materials on the early history of the Queens Jewish Center. Highlights include the note-cards and typewritten historical accounts of the creation of the Queens Jewish Center. In 1975, the Queens Jewish Center celebrated its 50th Anniversary. Materials relating to this celebratory function can be found in Box 5, Folder 12. Starting in the 1960s, the Queens Jewish Center sponsored weekend trips and vacations for congregational members. Box 5, Folder 16 includes the flyers and invitations for weekend trips at various New York resorts, such as Hotel Gibber at Lake Kiamesha and Hotel Evans at Loch Sheldrake, which the Queens Jewish Center ran between 1965 and 1975. From 1982 through 1998, the Queens Jewish Center held annual summer weekends at Kutscher's Country Club. Box 5, Folder 10 contains the flyers and invitations announcing the "Annual Weekend at Kutscher's" which the Queens Jewish Center sponsored from 1982 through 1998. At each annual summer weekend, one or two congregational members were honored for their contribution to the center. Located in Monticello, New York, Kutscher's County Club offered all-inclusive get-away packages that included daily meals, indoor and outdoor activities, evening variety shows and cocktail and dance parties, and day camp and babysitting for children. Invitations and flyers to various religious and secular events and fundraisers held at the center can be found in Box 5, Folder 13, through Box 5, Folder 15. Box 15 (OS2), Oversized Folder 4 holds newspaper clippings from the Long Island Daily Press, Queens Review, New York Times, amongst other sources, of various events held and sponsored by the Queens Jewish Center during the 1930s.

BoxFolderTitleDate
5 10 Annual Weekend at Kutsher's 1982-1998
5 11 Early History of Queens Jewish Center (Photographs have been moved to Box 13, Folder 11) (Film Reel has been moved to Box 13, Folder 12)1975
5 12 Fiftieth Anniversary Dinner Dance (Photographs have been moved to Box 13, Folder 12) 1975
5 13 Fundraising Events for UJA and Israel 1968-1970
5 14 Flyers and Promotional Materials for Parties undated, 1990-2001
5 15 Reception Invitations and Programs 1930-1960
5 16 Weekend Retreats: Flyers and Programs 1965-1975
BoxFolderTitleDate
15(OS2)4Newspaper Clippings of events [Oversize] undated, 1930-1931, 1980

Subseries 2: Miscellaneous Events, 1949, 1978-1980

English.
Box 5, Folders 17-18.
Scope and Content:

This small subseries contains materials relating to events held at the Queens Jewish Center by private individuals and organizations. A variety of materials pertaining to catering at the Queens Jewish Center can be found in Box 5, Folder 17. The following items are included in this folder: legal documents with Hilcrest Catering Corporation who served as the exclusive caterers for the center, price list of various foods and platters Hilcrest provided for catered events, the "Kiddush and Affair Committee's" pamphlet outlining catered events at the center. In addition, there are colored photographic images of various catered events held at center. A 1949 "Hadassah Herald" event program is located in Box 5, Folder 18. Presented by the Central Long Island Hadassah women's group, the topic was on child welfare.

BoxFolderTitleDate
5 17 Catering (Photographs have been moved to Box 13, Folder 12) 1978-1980
5 18 Hadassah Herald 1949
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series VIII: Children's Groups, undated, 1940, 1949, 1951, 1957-1975, 1978-1979, 1997, 1999

English, Hebrew.
Box 6.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This series documents children and youth groups affiliated with and run by the Queens Jewish Center. Included in this series are three collections: Hebrew School, Scouting, and Bar and Bat Mitzvah and Confirmations.

Subseries 1: Hebrew School, undated, 1949, 1951, 1957, 1960-1975, 1978-1979

English, Hebrew.
Box 6, Folders 1-7.
Scope and Content:

This subseries consists of items relating the Queen's Jewish Center's Hebrew School and Sunday School. Box 6, Folder 1 contains flyers for parents of students enrolled in Hebrew School and Sunday School. Information about registration, calendar, holidays, and special events are included in this folder. In addition, there is also correspondence between parents of students and the Queen Jewish Center. Box 6, Folder 3 includes records of payment receipts for Hebrew School and Sunday School. Enrollment Rosters spanning from 1955 through 1975 are located in Box 6, Folder 4. Box 6, Folder 7 has a "Sunday School Educator's Record Book" from 1964 which documents the student's name, address, age, grade level, and parents name. Box 6, Folder 2 includes educational materials such as religious lesson plans and activities. Two manuals on "Course of Studies for 2nd and 3rd year" prepared by the Principal Council, The Associated United Synagogue Schools in Queens in Cooperation with Jewish Education Committee of New York can be found in Box 6, Folder 6. Box 6, Folder 5 contains miscellaneous materials including absentee letters, Hebrew songs, and information on a reunion for Hebrew School graduates.

BoxFolderTitleDate
6 1 Correspondence undated, 1960-1974
6 2 Educational Materials 1957
6 3 Enrollment Receipts 1978-1979
6 4 Enrollment Rosters undated, 1955-1975
6 5 Miscellaneous undated, 1967
6 6 Syllabi and Curriculum 1949, 1951
6 7 Teacher's Record Books undated, 1964

Subseries 2: Girl and Boy Scouts, undated, 1958-1960, 1963-1964, 1969

English.
Box 6, Folders 8-10.
Scope and Content:

This subseries is dedicated to documents and materials pertaining to the Queens Jewish Center chapters of the Girl and Boy Scouts. Box 6, Folder 8 contains the center's Boy Scouts Records. Included are documents about camp outs, dinners, induction and graduation ceremonies, and monthly activities. One highlight of this folder is the listed qualities that all members of the troop should possess: Wisdom, Courage, Temperance, Justice, Hope and Love. The center's Girl Scouts records are located in Box 6, Folder 9. Mostly operational materials, these items include budgets, committees, dues, and the attendance records of all members. Two documents relating to a 1969 sponsored event for the National Jewish Committee on Scouting can be found in Box 6, Folder 10.

BoxFolderTitleDate
6 8Boy Scout Recordsundated, 1963-1964
6 9 Girl Scout Records1952-1960
6 10 National Jewish Committee on Scouting 1969

Subseries 3: Bar/Bat Mitzvah and Confirmation, 1940, 1997, 1999

English, Hebrew.
Box 6, Folder 11 and Box 16 (OS2), Folder 2.
Scope and Content:

This small subseries contains materials relating to bar and bat mitzvahs and confirmations. Located in Box 6, Folder 11 are two multi-colored bar mitzvah certificates: one for Matthew Kaplowetz (whose bar mitzvah was on November 8, 1997 which corresponds to the 8th day of Hervan 5758) and one for Eric Scott (whose bar mitzvah was on June 12, 1999 which corresponds to the 28th day of Sivan 5759). Box 16 (OS2), Oversize Folder 2 holds a Tanakh, the Jewish bible, which was presented to the Queens Jewish Center on behalf of the 1940 confirmation class.

BoxFolderTitleDate
6 11 Certificates 1997, 1999
BoxFolderTitleDate
16(OS2) 2 Gift from Confirmation Class, Bible [Oversize] 1940
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series IX: Sisterhood, undated, 1940-1952, 1959-1984, 1992

English.
Box 7-8 and Box 14, Folders 1-2.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This collection represents the entirety of the materials, publications, and records of the Queens Jewish Center Sisterhood. Founded in 1925, Sisterhood was originally known as Ladies Auxiliary. In 1940, the name of this organization was changed to Sisterhood and the club started its long-term affiliation with the National Women's League of the United Synagogue of America, now known as the Women's League for Conservative Judaism.

Subseries 1: Executive Board and Finances, 1959-1974, 1976-1984

English.
Box 7, Folders 1-8.
Scope and Content:

This subseries contains both minutes of meetings and financial records of the Sisterhood Executive Board of Directors. Box 7, Folder 1 contains the attendance records and roster of the Sisterhood Executive Board Members. Included are the names of the officers, including the President, Vice President, Treasurer, Financial Secretary, Correspondence Secretary, Recording Secretary, Project Secretary, and Trustees. In addition, information about the members of various subgroups of Sisterhood, such as Activity, Armed Services, Hospitality, and Membership is available. Box 7, Folder 2 through Box 7, Folder 6, span a time frame from 1959 through 1972 and 1976 through 1984, and hold the minutes of meetings of the Sisterhood Executive Board Members. Both typewritten and handwritten, these meeting records contain information on following areas that were important for Sisterhood: Building, Cheer, Education, Entertainment, Finance, Gift Shop, Membership, School Board, and Youth. Researchers should note that the turquoise steno pad in Box 7, Folder 5 is difficult to read due to penmanship. Box 7, Folder 7 and Box 7, Folder 8 holds the financial statements, including the Budget, for Sisterhood.

BoxFolderTitleDate
7 1 Executive Board, Meeting Attendance 1959-1972
7 2 Executive Board/Membership Meeting Minutes 1959-1962
7 3 Executive Board/Membership Meeting Minutes 1962-1965
7 4 Executive Board/Membership Meeting Minutes 1966-1968
7 5 Executive Board/Membership Meeting Minutes 1969-1972
7 6 Sisterhood Meeting Minutes 1976-1984
7 7 Sisterhood Budget Statements (1f) 1967-1974, 1983-1984
7 8 Sisterhood Budget Statements (2f) 1967-1974, 1983-1984

Subseries 2: Publications and Resources, undated, 1967-1978, 1992

English.
Box 8, Folders 1-6.
Scope and Content:

This subseries contains a variety of flyers, materials, pamphlets and resources collected by Sisterhood, the bulk of which was published by the National Women's League of Conservative Judaism. The items located in Box 8, Folder 1 through Box 8, Folder 3 include three types of documents: 1) pamphlets from organizations affiliated with the National Women's League of Conservative Judaism, including: Camp Ramah, Jewish Braille Institute, Jewish Marriage Experience, Jewish Theological Seminary, and Women's Organization for Retarded Children; 2) the annual National Women's League of Conservative Judaism Program Review from 1967 through 1971; and, 3) miscellaneous materials such as "General Rules for Chairman & Committees" for Sisterhood groups. Plays and songbooks that were published by the National Women's League of Conservative Judaism can be found in Box 8, Folder 5 and Box 8, Folder 6. The titles of these materials include: "America the Beautiful," "An American in Israel," "From Darkness to Light; From Slaves to Freedom," "From Learning to Giving," "The Gates That Open Wide," "Hallel: What Hath God Wrought?" "I am Woman" "Listen! What do you Hear?" "NA'Aseh," "The Story of Israel in Song," "Tanta Mim," "Whose Afraid of Music?" and "Yes, Yes Yvette." Box 8, Folder 4 contains two cookbooks, which were published by the Queens Jewish Center. Edited by Belle Einbender with assistance from Mitzi Peck, Rose Kurnit, and Kay Gruber, the cookbooks have recipes for the following Jewish holidays: Rosh Hashanah, Sukkoth, Hanukah, Purim, Pesach, and Shabbat.

BoxFolderTitleDate
8 1 National Women's League of Conservative Judaism: Collection of Promotional Materials (1f) 1972-1978, 1992
8 2 National Women's League of Conservative Judaism: Collection of Promotional Materials (2f) 1972-1978, 1992
8 3 National Women's League of Conservative Judaism: Collection of Promotional Materials (3f) 1972-1978, 1992
8 4 Queens Jewish Center Sisterhood Cookbooks undated
8 5 Songbooks from National Women's League (1f) 1971-1974
8 6 Songbooks from National Women's League (2f) 1971-1974

Subseries 3: Events, undated, 1968, 1970, 1976, 1983

English.
Box 8, Folders 7-8.
Scope and Content:

This small subseries contains materials relating to events sponsored by the Sisterhood of the Queens Jewish Center. Box 8, Folder 7 includes flyers and invitations to Sisterhood events, gatherings and parties, including: breakfasts, board meetings, bridge games, brunches, lunches, music fairs, rummage sales, and other events. The documents in Box 8, Folder 8 related to the Sisterhood Annual Bazaar in which clothing, trinkets, and other items were sold to raise money on behalf of the Queens Jewish Center.

BoxFolderTitleDate
8 7 Events undated, 1968, 1970, 1976-1978, 1983
8 8 Sisterhood Bazaar undated

Subseries 4: Legal Documents and Miscellaneous, undated, 1967-1974

English.
Box 8, Folders 9-12.
Scope and Content:

This series is comprised of legal documents and miscellaneous materials relating to the Sisterhood of the Queens Jewish Center. Incorporated in 1925, the Sisterhood was originally known as the "Ladies Auxiliary." According to the constitution found in Box 8, Folder 11, the mission of Sisterhood was to promote the "welfare of the congregation and its religious schools." Bank Receipts, including deposit slips for Israel Bonds are located in Box 8, Folder 9. Box 8, Folder 10 contains various Certificates of Appreciation that were bestowed upon the Sisterhood by the Jewish Theological Seminary, National Women's League of Conservative Judaism, the Queens Jewish Community Council, and the United Jewish Appeal of Greater New York. The items in Box 8, Folder 12 includes a Sisterhood identification card.

BoxFolderTitleDate
8 9 Bank Receipts 1967-1971
8 10 Certificates of Appreciation, Sisterhood 1959-1973, 1988
8 11 Constitution and Bylaws undated, 1925
8 12 Miscellaneous undated, 1972-1974

Subseries 5: Scrapbook, 1940-1952

English.
Box 14, Folders 1-2.
Scope and Content:

This very small subseries includes the original (Restricted) and user copy of the Queens Jewish Center Sisterhood Scrapbook. Spanning a time frame from 1940 through 1952, this 120-page scrapbook is located in Box 14, Folder 1 and Box 14, Folder 2. Consisting of a variety of ephemera, the scrapbook contains announcements, articles, calendar of events, correspondence, illustrations and cartoons, invitations to events and parties, music, news clippings, and religious psalms.

BoxFolderTitleDate
14(OS1) 1 Scrapbook [Oversize] (Restricted) 1940-1952
BoxFolderTitleDate
14 1 Scrapbook: User Copy, Pages 1-65 1940-1952
14 2 Scrapbook: User Copy, Pages 66-120 1940-1952
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series X: Men's Club, undated, 1945, 1953, 1973-1979

English.
Box 8, Folders 13-18.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This series is comprised of material relating to the Queens Jewish Center Men's Club. The original Men's Club known as Ray-Ouss (Friendship) operated in 1935, however limited information on this organization exists except for the one document located in Box 8, Folder 18. The bulk of this collection relates to the second Men's Club at the Queens Jewish Center that was chartered and founded in 1953 with congregation member, Fred Klein serving as the first elected Club President. Box 8, Folder 13 contains invitations for the 25th anniversary of the Men's Club that was celebrated on November 18, 1978 at the Center. Also found in this file are guest lists, financial statements and receipts, and speeches for the event. Box 8, Folder 15 contains the Men's Club constitution and bylaws that were adopted on September 18, 1973. Key among these documents is the mission statement, which notes that the two aims of the organization are "to integrate and advance the members of the Club towards religious, cultural, social and recreational activities and purposes" and "to raise funds and render financial aid to the Queen's Jewish Center." Box 8, Folders 16 and 17 are comprised of Club minutes from January 1973 through April 1979. The minutes, some typed and some handwritten, follow a similar format with information in the following areas: Correspondence, Fundraising, Synagogue Activities, Cheer and Fellowship, Old Business, New Business, and Good and Welfare. Box 8, Folder 14 contains the certificate for Morris Reach, the Men's Club President during the years 1959 through 1960. Reach received this award for his service to the Queen's Jewish Center. Box 15 (OS2), Oversized Folder 1 consists of the 1953 new charter of the Men's Club. According to this signed document, "On January 1, 1953, the Men's Club of the Queens Jewish Center was reorganized for the purposes of furthering the Ideals of Judaism and to Promote Fellowship among its Members."

BoxFolderTitleDate
8 13 25th Anniversary Celebration 1978
8 14 Certificate of Appreciation, Men's Club President undated
BoxFolderTitleDate
15(OS2) 1 Charter [Oversize] 1953
BoxFolderTitleDate
8 15 Constitution and Bylaws undated, 1973
8 16 Meeting Minutes 1973-1976
8 17 Meeting Minutes 1976-1979
8 18 Resolution 1945
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series XI: Certificates, undated, 1959-1973, 1980, 1988

English, Hebrew.
Box 9, Folders 1-2.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This collection is comprised of awards and certifications of appreciation. Box 9, Folder 1 has the Queens Jewish Community Council certification to the Queens Jewish Center for being a member of "good standing" in their organization. Located in Box 9, Folder 2 is The National Jewish Welfare Board "Distinguished Service Award" to the Queens Jewish Center for their voluntary service to the armed forces of the United States military. A State of Israel Bonds, Scroll of Honor was awarded to the Queens Jewish Center on June 7, 1980 and is located in Box 15 (OS2), Oversized Folder 2.

BoxFolderTitleDate
9 1 Certificate of Appreciation undated
BoxFolderTitleDate
15(OS2) 2 State of Israel Bonds Roll of Honor [Oversize] 1980
BoxFolderTitleDate
9 2 Distinguished Service Award [see also Box 6, Folder 11, Certificates, Children's Groups, Box 8, Folder 10, Certificate of Appreciation, Sisterhood, and Box 8, Folder 14 Certificate of Appreciation, Men's Club President] 1971
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series XII: Publications, undated, 1932-1982, 1989-2001

English.
Box 9, Folder 2 - Box 13, Folder 7.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This collection represents the entirety of the journals, newsletters, and pamphlets, and miscellaneous materials published by the Queens Jewish Center.

Subseries 1: Journals from Receptions, undated, 1933-1943, 1948-1982

English.
Box 9, Folder 3 - Box 11, Folder 5.
Scope and Content:

This subseries contains materials relating to celebrations held by the Queens Jewish Center. In addition to religious holidays, the Center also held benefits and events for specific secular occasions such as Annual Benefits, Bazaars, Dances and Testimonial Dinners. Testimonial Dinners honored specific congregants' contributions to the Queens Jewish Center. Starting in 1964, the Annual Journal consisted of the following sections:

· Committee Lists of the Officers and Trustees of the Queens Jewish Center;
· A message from the presiding Rabbi;
· A message from the presiding center President;
· List of all the congregant's names;
· Personal and business advertisements.

Highlights of this subseries, include: the 10th Anniversary Celebration of Queens Jewish Center located in Box 9, Folder 3, the Victory Rally and Dance during World War II located in Box 9, Folder 3, and the 25th Anniversary Celebration of the Queens Jewish Celebration located in Box 9, Folder 5.

BoxFolderTitleDate
9 3 Journals from Dinner Receptions 1933-1943
9 4 Journals from Dinner Receptions (1f) 1948-1953
9 5 Journals from Dinner Receptions (2f) 1948-1953
9 6 Journals from Dinner Receptions (1f) 1954-1958
9 7 Journals from Dinner Receptions (2f) 1954-1958
9 8 Journals from Dinner Receptions (1f) 1959-1961
9 9 Journals from Dinner Receptions (2f) 1959-1961
BoxFolderTitleDate
10 1 Journals from Dinner Receptions (1f) 1962-1963
10 2 Journals from Dinner Receptions (2f) 1962-1963
10 3 Journals from Dinner Receptions (1f) 1964-1965
10 4 Journals from Dinner Receptions (2f) 1964-1965
10 5 Journal 1966
10 6 Journal 1967
10 7 Journal 1968
10 8 Journal (1f) 1969-1972
10 9 Journal (2f) 1969-1972
BoxFolderTitleDate
11 1 Journal (1f) 1973-1977
11 2 Journal (2f) 1973-1977
11 3 Journal (1f) 1978-1982
11 4 Journal (2f) 1978-1982
11 5 Journal, Advertising Solicitations undated, 1974

Subseries 2: The Voice Newsletter, undated, 1932-1980, 1990-2001

English.
Box 11, Folder 6 - Box 13, Folder 3.
Scope and Content:

This subseries contains the collection of The Voice, a newsletter published by the Queens Jewish Center starting in 1932. Researchers should note that the collection is incomplete with the most noticeable gap spanning from 1981 through 1989. The bulk of the subseries can be found in Box 11, Folder 6 through Box 12, Folder 8. Topics written in the majority of the publications, include:

· Address by the presiding Rabbi;
· Advertisements from local businesses and organizations
· Children and Teen education, events, and meetings;
· Congregational News and Events about religious and secular celebrations and meetings;
· Men's Club and Sisterhood news;
· "Personal Chit Chat" about congregational members, including information regarding anniversaries, births, deaths, honors, and weddings;
· President of the Board's message to the congregation.

In addition, this subseries holds other materials pertaining to the administration and functions of The Voice. This includes the materials found in Box 12, Folder 9 through Box 13, Folder 3. Bound versions of The Voice, published by "Gertz Bros." of New York, are located in Box 12, Folder 9. These three bound volumes date from March 1960 - June 1960, September 1961 - June 1962, and September 1967 - June 1968. Box 13, Folder 1 includes the copy-edit pages and standard typesetting instructions for the production and publication of The Voice. Box 13, Folder 2 consists of advertising rates, copy edits, and invoices for the 1991-1998 publications of The Voice. News clippings from the Rego Park Jewish Center's Bulletin which were collected by the staff of The Voice are located in Box 13, Folder 3.

BoxFolderTitleDate
11 6 The Voice newsletter September 1932-November 1939
11 7 The Voice newsletter November 1939-June 1949
11 8 The Voice newsletter September 1949-October 1953
11 9 The Voice newsletter November 1953-November 1957
11 10 The Voice newsletter January 1958-February 1962
BoxFolderTitleDate
12 1 The Voice newsletter March 1962-June 1968
12 2 The Voice newsletter September 1968-June 1971
12 3 The Voice newsletter July 1971-April 1973
12 4 The Voice newsletter May 1973-October 1975
12 5 The Voice newsletter November 1975-December 1977
12 6 The Voice newsletter January 1978-May 1980
12 7 The Voice newsletter (1f) October 1990-November 2001
12 8 The Voice newsletter (2f) October 1990-November 2001
12 9 The Voice newsletter, Bound copies March 1960-June 1960, September 1961-June 1962, September 1967-June 1968
BoxFolderTitleDate
13 1 The Voice newsletter, Pages for typesetting 1968-1972
13 2 The Voice newsletter: Copy and Invoices 1968-1977, 1990-2001
13 3 Clippings from Rego Park Jewish Center, Collected by The Voice Newsletterundated, 1971-1972

Subseries 3: Other Synagogue and Community Publications, undated, 1951, 1956-1957, 1960s, 1971-1972, 1976, 1983, 1989, 1991-1992

English.
Box 13, Folders 4-7.
Scope and Content:

This subseries contains an assortment of materials and publications from the Queens Jewish Center and from other religious organizations. Box 13, Folder 4 consists of the center's Weekly Calendar of Events. Information regarding the date, time, and location of such events as Board Meetings, Religious Services, Troop Meetings, and Weight Watchers and notifications of upcoming events were documented. Box 13, Folder 5 holds a variety of miscellaneous materials published by the Queens Jewish Center. Such materials include: "Bimah Etiquette Guidelines," "Directions to Queens Jewish Center," pamphlets for prospective members outlining the "History, Aim, and Purpose" of the Queens Jewish Center. Located in Box 13, Folder 6 and Box 13, Folder 7 are two publications sponsored by the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregation of America: the 1951 Booklet of the National Biennial Convention and the 1956 National Conference of Synagogue Youth Leaders. In addition, there is the 1956 manual sponsored by the United Synagogue of American entitled "Reference Forms & Procedures for Synagogue Administrations."

BoxFolderTitleDate
13 4 Calendar of Events 1971-1972, 1976, 1983, 1989, 1991-1992
13 5 Miscellaneous Materials undated, 1960s
13 6 Resources from the United Synagogue of American and the Union of Orthodox Congregations of America (1f) 1951, 1956-1957
13 7 Resources from the United Synagogue of American and the Union of Orthodox Congregations of America (2f) 1951, 1956-1957
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series XIII: Photographs, undated, 1930-1980

English, Hebrew, Russian.
Box 9, Folders 5-8; Box 13, Folders 8-13.
Arrangement:

Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Scope and Content:

This collection is primarily comprised of photographic images of the building structure, clergy, congregation, and staff of the Queens Jewish Village Center. An assortment of photographs spanning a time frame from the 1930s through the 1980s is located in Box 13, Folder 8. These images include photographs of the Queens Jewish Center basketball team, Brownies group, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Library Staff, Sunday and Hebrew School faculty, amongst others. In addition, the following individuals have been identified in these images: Rabbi Wendroff, Cantor Pollack, Arnold Herzog, Ida Roseman, Fay Portnoy, and Harry Einbender. Box 15, Oversized Folder (OS2) 5 includes negatives and black and white photographs of the May 10, 1931, Dedication Dinner held at the center. Photographs and film reels, undated, but most likely from the early development of the Queens Jewish Center are located in Box 13, Folders 11 - 12. After the 1967 fire, the congregation rejoiced the rebuilding of center with a celebratory Rededication Dinner. The black and white and color photographs from this event are located in Box 15 (OS2), Oversized Folder 6 and Box 13, Folder 10. Photographic images for the 1954 Testimonial Dinner for active congregant Harry Einbender are located in Box 15 (OS2), Oversized Folder 7 and the photographic images for Rabbi Jacob Wendroff's Chai Celebration are located in Box 15 (OS2), Oversized Folder 8. Colored photographs of catered events held in the ballroom at the Queens Jewish Center are located in Box 13, Folder 13.

BoxFolderTitleDate
15(OS2) 5 Dedication Dinner [Oversize] (includes negatives) 1931
15(OS2) 6 Rededication Dinner [Oversize] 1967
BoxFolderTitleDate
13 8 Miscellaneous Photographs 1930s-1980s
BoxFolderTitleDate
15(OS2) 7 Testimonial Dinner for Harry Einbender [Oversize] 1954
15(OS2) 8 Testimonial Dinner for Rabbi Jacob Wendroff [Oversize] 1977
BoxFolderTitleDate
13 9 Slides undated
13 10 Fire and Rededication of Sanctuary (separated from
Box 1, Folder 8)
1967
13 11 Early History of Queens Jewish Center (1f) (separated from Box 5, Folder 11) undated
13 12 Early History of Queens Jewish Center (2f) (separated from Box 5, Folder 11) undated
13 13 Catering of Queens Jewish Center (separated from
Box 5, Folder 12)
undated
Return to the Top of Page
 

Separated Oversized Materials, 1967

BoxFolderTitleDate
15(OS2)9Blueprints from Furniture and Repair Contracts (separated from Box 1, Folder 9)1967
Return to the Top of Page