Guide to the Records of the First Ostrowzer Young Men's Benevolent Society
1952, 1971-2001

RG 1818

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: First Ostrowzer Young Men's Benevolent Society (New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of First Ostrowzer Young Men's Benevolent Society
Dates:1952, 1971-2001
Abstract: These are the records of the First Ostrowzer Young Men's Benevolent Society, a landmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English
Physical Description: 0.83 linear feet
Identification: RG 1818
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Founded in New York around 1910 by immigrants from Ostrovtse (Ostrowiec, Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski, Ostowiec Kielecki, Ostrowitz, Ostrovitz, Ostrovitza, Ostrowiec p. Opatow), then in the province of Galicia in the Austro-Hungarian Empire (today, Poland). The Society provided death benefits and functioned as a burial society. It used Mount Hebron and Beth Moses Cemeteries. Dissolved 2001.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1:  Burial society records, 1920 (photocopy), 1952, 1973, 1990-2001. Cemetery map (Beth Moses). Receipt book (membership dues, interest income), 1990-1992. Minutes, 1990, 1992. Meeting notices, 1989-2000. Membership ballots concerning the Society's donations of Israel bonds for Israeli charitable and humanitarian causes, 1989, 1991. Correspondence concerning Israel bonds, 1988-1995. Correspondence with members, 1989-2001. Correspondence related to dissolution, 1988, 2000-2001. Dissolution ballots, 2000.  Box 2: Balance sheets, 1971-1991. Financial reports, 1993, 1995. Income/expense journals, 1987-1992. Cashbook, 1987-1992. List of death benefits paid, 1984-1992. Bank statements, receipts, cancelled checks, 1989-1998. Membership lists, 1992-2001. Membership applications, 1973-1993.  Membership dues ledger, 1984-1992.

Return to the Top of Page

Related Materials

RG 123 (Box 62, oversize) contains a photograph of the 25th anniversary banquet of the Society, held at Central Plaza, 111 2nd Avenue, New York City, on December 28, 1935.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page