Guide to the Records of the Czortkower Rabbi J. M. Schapiro Society
1935, 1945-1989

RG 1815

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Czortkower Rabbi J. M. Schapiro Society (New York, N.Y.)
Creator: Czortkower Rabbi Schapiro K.U.V.
Collection Title: Records of Czortkower Rabbi J. M. Schapiro Society
Dates:1935, 1945-1989
Abstract: These are the records of the Czortkower Rabbi J. M. Schapiro Society, a landmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English, Yiddish
Physical Description: 0.83 linear feet
Identification: RG 1815
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Organized July 21, 1892 in New York by immigrants from Czortków (Chortkiv, Chortkev, Chortkov, Czortkow Stary), in the province of Galicia, in the Austro-Hungarian Empire (today, Ukraine). Appears to be the same society that was earlier known as: Czortkower Rabbi Schapiro Society K.U.V. (Kranken Untershtitsungs Verein); however that form of the name rarely occurs in the records from 1935 on. The Society mainly functioned as a burial society. It provided for the purchase of graves, the payment of funeral expenses, and the erection of monuments. It also sometimes provided sick benefits. The Society used Mount Zion and Wellwood Cemeteries.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Minute book, English and Yiddish, 1969-1988.  Constitution and bylaws, typescript.  Notice of amendment to bylaws, 1977. Certificate of Incorporation (1892), certified copy, 1945. Agreements, 1935, 1988.  Membership dues ledgers, 1961-1989.  Burial receipts, 1947-1989. Box 2: Deeds to graves, 1948-1988. Correspondence concerning reservations of graves, 1957, 1977-1983.  Correspondence concerning burials and funeral expenses, 1950-1986. Correspondence concerning monuments, 1976-1988.  General correspondence (with members and with cemeteries), 1947, 1975-1988. Picture postcard of the Rabbi Israel Friedman synagogue in Czortkow.  Membership address book, 1988.  Cashbook, 1981-1986. Bankbooks, 1982-1988.  Cancelled checks, 1984-1988. Stamp. Cemetery maps.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page