Guide to the Records of the Radautz Roumanian Benevolent Society
1940-1992
RG 1756

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Sarah Ponichtera.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Radautz Roumanian Benevolent Society (N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the Radautz Roumanian Benevolent Society
Dates:1940-1992
Abstract: These are the records of the Radautz Roumanian Benevolent Society, a landmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English
Physical Description: 1.46 linear feet
Identification: RG 1756
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Founded in New York in 1928 by immigrants from Radautz (Radauts, Radautsi, Radevitz, Radivits, Radovitch, Radovits, Radoyts), Romania.  The society provided sick and death benefits, made charitable contributions, and held social activities such as galas.  The society provided subsidized burial at the Baron Hirsch cemetery.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1:  Certificate of Incorporation and Constitution, 1954, 1985.  General Ledger (2 folders).  Check Receipts (3 ledgers).  Box 2:  Dues Ledger, 1940-1972.  Box 3:  Dues Ledger, 1973-1985.  Correspondence about dues, 1955-1992.  Correspondence about funeral expenses, 1955-1963.  Correspondence about sick benefits, 1946-1963.  Bills, 1960-1963.  Membership applications, 1947-1957.  Correspondence about meetings, 1957-1967.  General correspondence, 1948-1970.  Box 4:  Correspondence about donations, 1960-1965.  Check stubs.  Burial receipts.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page