Guide to the Records of the Derechiner Benevolent Association
1934-1981

RG 1780

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Derechiner Benevolent Association (N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the Derechiner Benevolent Association
Dates:1934-1981
Abstract: These are the records of the Derechiner Benevolent Association, a landmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English, Yiddish, Hebrew
Physical Description: 1.04 linear feet
Identification: RG 1780
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Organized in 1906 by immigrants from Derechin (Dereczyn, Deretchin, Derhichin, Dretchin), in the Russian Empire (today, Belarus). In its printed constitution the Association's name is spelled in English: Derechener. The Association provided sick and death benefits, and functioned as a burial society. It used Baron Hirsch Cemetery.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Constitution (printed in Yiddish and English). Burial society correspondence and documents, 1948-1981. Financial records, 1934-1975. Meeting notices, 1964, 1968. Membership dues receipts book, 1972-1979. Check stubs, 1958-1981. Cancelled checks, 1961-1973. Correspondence concerning dissolution of the Association, 1978-1979.  Box 2: Minute book in Yiddish, 1957-1979. General ledger in Yiddish, 1951-1979. General ledgers in English, 1953-1981. Box 3 (oversize): Membership dues ledgers, 1957-1979. Yortsayt (Yahrzeit) pages (for commemoration of the dead), printed in Hebrew, with names and dates carefully inscribed by hand in Hebrew calligraphy.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page