Guide to the Records of the Balbireshker Brotherhood Benevolent Association
1951-1980

RG 1788

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Balbireshker Brotherhood Benevolent Association (New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the Balbireshker Brotherhood Benevolent Association
Dates:1951-1980
Abstract: These are the records of the Balbireshker Brotherhood Benevolent Association, a landmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English
Physical Description: 0.63 linear feet
Identification: RG 1788
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Organized March 15, 1920 by immigrants from Balbieriškis (Balberiskis, Balbirishok, Balbirishuk, Balbirshuk, Balkerishki, Barbircheff), in the Russian Empire (incorporated into Lithuania in 1919). The spelling of the Association's name varied over time approximately evenly between Balbireshker and Balbirishker. Meetings were held at 175 East Broadway, New York, as well as other locations. The Association mainly functioned as a burial society, and provided death benefits. During part of its history it also provided sick benefits and gave charitable support annually to local institutions. It used Mount Lebanon and Beth David Cemeteries.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Constitution and by-laws, 1954. Minute book, 1971-1974. Cashbooks, 1953-1974. General ledgers, 1952-1964, 1970-1975. Membership dues ledgers, 1953-1976. Membership dues list, 1971. Financial statements and worksheets, 1951-1953. Box 2: Balance sheets for years 1958, 1969-1974. Bankbook, 1964-1975. Cancelled checks and check stubs, 1974-1980. Miscellaneous receipts and invoices, 1973-1979. Membership address book. List of reserved graves in Beth David and Mount Lebanon Cemeteries, circa 1979. Cemetery map flier for Beth David Cemetery. Notice of special meeting for the purpose of dissolving the Association, 1979.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page