Guide to the Records of the First Mihowa Berhometh Bucowiner K.U.V.
1925-1988

RG 1801

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: First Mihowa Berhometh Bucowiner K.U.V. (New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the First Mihowa Berhometh Bucowiner K.U.V.
Dates:1925-1988
Abstract: These are the records of the First Mihowa Berhometh Bucowiner K.U.V., a landmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English, Yiddish
Physical Description: 1.04 linear feet
Identification: RG 1801
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Organized September 3, 1910 in New York by immigrants from the towns of Mihova (Myhove, Migovoye, Mikhova, Mikova) and Berhomet (Berehomet, Beregomet, Bergomet, Berhomet Pe Prut, Berhomete Pe Siret, Berkhomet), located within a short distance of each other in the Bukovina (Bucovina) province of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (today, Ukraine). First constitution adopted in 1925. In the constitution printed 1940, and frequently in the Society's records from the 1950s to the 1970s, its name is rendered with the English translation "Sick Benevolent Society" in place of the Yiddish acronym "K.U.V." (Kranken Untershtitsungs Verein). Also, the name of the second of the two towns in the Society’s name is frequently spelled: Berhameth. The Society provided sick and death benefits, and functioned as a burial society by purchasing graves and paying funeral expenses. The constitution contains an oath of membership requiring that secrets of the society not be divulged, and specifying a password to be used for admittance to meetings. In the 1950s to 1970s the Society had a custom of holding an annual spring convention at a hotel in upstate New York. The cemeteries it used were Montefiore and Wellwood. Dissolved 1986.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Constitution, in English and Yiddish, as amended in 1939 and printed 1940 (includes membership list). Minute book, 1962-1968. Cashbook, 1977-1981. Membership dues ledgers, 1954-1959, 1969-1975. Deeds to graves (indentures), Wellwood Cemetery, 1967-1971. Box 2: Correspondence concerning grave reservations, 1952-1984. Correspondence concerning funeral expenses, death benefits, and sick benefits, 1925, 1953-1980. Doctors’ notes, 1955-1962. Box 3: Record book for death benefits paid, 1955-1983, sick benefits paid, 1954-1970, and list of Israel bonds held, 1956-1988. Correspondence concerning monuments, 1954-1979. Correspondence concerning membership dues, 1930, 1951-1980. Minute book, 1968-1986. Cemetery maps. Booklet, "Cemetery law." Invoices and receipts, 1958-1979. Correspondence with banks, 1968-1985. Bankbook, 1970-1982. Correspondence of attorney, related to dissolution of the Society, 1985.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page