Guide to the Records of the Jewish American Workingmen Benevolent Society
1933, 1954-1990

RG 1803

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Jewish American Workingmen Benevolent Society (New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the Jewish American Workingmen Benevolent Society
Dates:1933, 1954-1990
Abstract: These are the records of the Jewish American Workingmen Benevolent Society, a landmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English, Yiddish
Physical Description: 0.83 linear feet
Identification: RG 1803
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Organized in New York in 1904, and formally established August 10, 1905. The Society provided sick and death benefits, purchased graves, and functioned as a burial society. During part of its history it maintained a free loan and relief fund from which members could borrow without paying interest; it discontinued that practice in 1963. An old age fund covered the cost of dues for members over 60. One of the Society’s officers, the hospitaler, was responsible for visiting the sick and approving sick benefits. During part of its history the Society had its own doctor. The Society used three cemeteries: Mount Zion, Mount Lebanon, and Beth David. Dissolved in 1990.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Constitution, in Yiddish and English, as amended and revised 1933 (includes list of officers). Minutes, 1960-1989. Burial permits, 1989-1990. Correspondence with members (including meeting notices), 1981-1989. Correspondence with Beth David Cemetery related to dissolution, 1990. Membership list, 1990. Receipt book for member payments, 1983-1989. Box 2:  Financial record book, with balance sheets, 1954-1969, and signed attestations of the Finance Committee as to the good order of the Society’s books, 1954-1985. Balance sheets, 1984-1986. Membership dues ledgers, 1978-1985. Cemetery maps. Box 3: Cashbook, 1970-1988.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page