Guide to the Records of the First Wielkie Oczer Sick and Benevolent Society
1915, 1939-1984

RG 1806

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: First Wielkie Oczer Sick and Benevolent Society (N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the First Wielkie Oczer Sick and Benevolent Society
Dates:1915, 1939-1984
Abstract: These are the records of the First Wielkie Oczer Sick and Benevolent Society, a landmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English, Yiddish
Physical Description: 1.88 linear feet
Identification: RG 1806
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Organized in 1903 by immigrants from Wielkie Oczy (Vilkatch), in the province of Galicia, in the Austro-Hungarian Empire (today, Poland). Incorporated in New York in 1908. The Society provided sick and death benefits, purchased graves, and functioned as a burial society. Its constitution also included a provision for emergency welfare relief. The cemeteries used by the Society were Mount Zion, Mount Hebron, and Beth Israel. Dissolved in 1984.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Cashbook, including records of membership dues receipts, 1956-1973. Membership dues receipt book, 1973-1983. Burial receipts, 1960-1974. Burial society records, including grave reservations, 1965-1978. Correspondence with members, 1965-1979. Society “Bulletin,” 1969-1978. Miscellaneous receipts, notes, publications, 1966-1979. Cemetery maps. Box 2: Minute book, in English and Yiddish, 1958-1982. Draft minutes, 1978-1980. Constitution and amendments, 1953-1979. Cemetery deeds, 1939, 1957. Membership list, 1973. Membership dues ledger, 1979-1983. Balance sheets, 1955-1958, 1967-1978. Audit report, 1978. Box 3: Bankbooks, 1945-1984. Check stubs, 1968-1984. Cancelled checks, 1971-1984. Box 4: Membership list, ca. 1940s. Membership dues ledger, 1939-1959. Box 5: Membership dues ledger, 1959-1979. Certificate of Incorporation (1908), certified copy, 1915. Box 6: Minute book, in Yiddish and English, 1934-1957, accompanied by digitized version (2 DVDs). Papers of Leo Weiss, recording secretary, including photographs, financial reports, and minutes, ca. 1947-1957. Oversized cemetery maps (Mount Zion, Mount Hebron) stored in map drawer.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page