Guide to the Records of the Erste Zabner Congregation Bnei Shulem David
1922-1999

RG 1819

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Erste Zabner Congregation Bnei Shulem David (New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the Erste Zabner Congregation Bnei Shulem David
Dates:1922-1999
Abstract: These are the records of the Erste Zabner Congregation Bnei Shulem David, a landsmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English, Yiddish
Physical Description: 0.83 Linear Feet
Identification: RG 1819
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Founded in New York by immigrants from Żabno (Sveti Ivan Zabno, Zhabno, Zobni), Poland, and incorporated in 1922. (Before 1919 the hometown was located in the province of Galicia in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.) The Congregation’s purpose was to maintain a place of worship and to function as a burial society. An English translation of its name would be “First Zabner Congregation”; the last portion of the name is occasionally rendered in its records as “Bnei Sholom David.” In the certificate of incorporation the Congregation’s name is given as “Erste Zabna Congregation Bnei Sholom Duvid.”  The Congregation used Mount Lebanon and Mount Hebron Cemeteries. Dissolved in 1999.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Burial receipt books, in English and Yiddish, 1922-1994. Burial society records, 1967-1999. Financial reports, 1953-1988, 1992, 1994. Membership records. Correspondence with members, 1962-1982. Dissolution ballots and related correspondence, 1999. Box 2: Certificate of incorporation, 1922. Cemetery deeds, 1933-1942. Cemetery map (fragmentary). Minute books in Yiddish and English, 1932-1999 (minutes are in Yiddish until February 1971, and in English thereafter). Cashbook, 1963-1999. Check stubs, 1971-1983. Receipts for donations to Israel Emergency Fund, 1973-1978. Bankbooks, 1950-1998. Cancelled checks, 1975-1998. Check registers, 1983-1999. Box 3: Membership dues ledgers, 1953-1999.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page