Guide to the Records of the First Turover Aid Society
1905-2002

RG 1822

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: First Turover Aid Society (New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the First Turover Aid Society
Dates:1905-2002
Abstract: These are the records of the First Turover Aid Society, a landsmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English, Yiddish
Physical Description: 1.25 Linear Feet
Identification: RG 1822
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Founded in Brooklyn, New York, in 1904, by immigrants from Turov (Toorof, Turev), in the Russian Empire (today, Belarus). Early in its history the Society was known as the Turover Unterstutzungs Verein, the Erste Turover Unterstitzungs Verein, or the Benevolent Association of the People of Turov. It purchased graves and functioned as a burial society. It used four cemeteries: Mount Zion, Mount Lebanon, Beth David, and Wellwood. Dissolved in 2000.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Membership dues ledgers, 1966-1972, 1980-1991. Balance sheets, 1979-1996. Box 2: Check stubs, 1974-1997. Bankbooks, 1979-1998. Cancelled checks, 1980-1999. Box 3: Minutes, in Yiddish, 1963-1986. Membership payments ledger (dues, grave reservations), 1968-1991. Cemetery deeds, 1905-1958. Cemetery deed in name of First Polisier Unterstutzung Verein, 1927. Cemetery payment receipts, 1913-1921. Agreement with the Independent Plinsker Society, 1954. Miscellaneous burial society records, 1958-1999. Correspondence with members, ca. 1991. Membership lists. Dissolution records, 1999-2002.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page