Guide to the Records of the Independent Bialystoker Brotherly Love Association No. 1
1905-1975

RG 1829

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Independent Bialystoker Brotherly Love Association No. 1 (New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the Independent Bialystoker Brotherly Love Association No. 1
Dates:1905-1975
Abstract: These are the records of the Independent Bialystoker Brotherly Love Association No. 1, a landsmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English
Physical Description: 0.83 Linear Feet
Identification: RG 1829
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Organized in New York on February 10, 1890 by immigrants from Białystok (Belostok, Bialistok), then in the Russian Empire (today, Poland). Incorporated March 5, 1890. The Association provided sick and death benefits, functioned as a burial society, and maintained a loan fund. The cemeteries it used were Washington, Mount Zion, and Beth David. Ceased collecting dues and holding regular meetings in 1972.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Payment receipt book, 1964-1971. Membership dues ledgers (with some loan agreements attached), 1953-1971. Cashbook, 1953-1971. Deed for plots at Beth David Cemetery, 1924, and deed for sale of plots back to Beth David, 1956. Deeds to graves, 1958-1968. General releases by members, 1957-1966. Correspondence with members, 1958-1962, 1974. General correspondence and receipts, 1956-1973.  Box 2: Grave reservations notebook. Burial receipts, 1905-1954, 1967-1975. Loan agreements, 1967. Acknowledgements of $200 Israel bonds received by members as dissolution distribution, 1967. Acknowledgements of payments received by members toward funeral expenses, 1968. Meeting notices, 1962, 1963, 1971. Minutes (including financial reports), 1967-1971. Check stubs, 1968-1973. Stamp. Oversized certificate of incorporation, 1909 (7th floor).

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page