Guide to the Records of Congregation Beth Sholom Tomchei Harav
1923, 1952-1994

RG 1835

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Congregation Beth Sholom Tomchei Harav (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of Congregation Beth Sholom Tomchei Harav
Dates:1923, 1952-1994
Abstract: These are the records of Congregation Beth Sholom Tomchei Harav, a landsmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English, Yiddish
Physical Description: 0.63 Linear Feet
Identification: RG 1835
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Founded in Brooklyn, New York. Incorporated on November 19, 1919. On the certificate of incorporation the Congregation’s name is spelled: Beth Scholom Tomcha Horav. The Congregation purchased graves and functioned as a burial society, provided death benefits, and made charitable donations. It used Beth David Cemetery. Dissolved 1994.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Certificate of incorporation (1919), typescript, certified copy, 1952. Cemetery deed, 1923. Legal settlement (photocopy), 1976, regarding distribution of a large portion of assets, including donations to 11 Yeshivas. Membership dues ledger, 1962-1981. Deeds to graves (photocopies), ca. 1984-1985. Membership lists. Box 2: Minute book, in Yiddish, 1976-1980. Membership dues ledger, in English and Yiddish, 1970-1984. Receipts for donations, 1979-1981. List of Israel bonds, 1979. Dissolution records, 1989, 1994. Cemetery maps. Bankbooks, 1979-1988. Check registers, 1986-1989. Cancelled checks, 1985-1989.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page