Guide to the Records of the Milgrim Fraternal Association
1932-2004

RG 1885

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Milgrim Fraternal Association (New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the Milgrim Fraternal Association
Dates:1932-2004
Abstract: These are the records of the Milgrim Fraternal Association, a landsmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English
Physical Description: 0.63 Linear Feet
Identification: RG 1885
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Organized in 1919. Originally known as the Moishe Milgrim Men Friends Association, or the Moishe Milgrim Young Men’s Fraternal Association. The name was changed to Milgrim Fraternal Association in 1962. The Association provided sick and death benefits, retained its own physicians, and functioned as a burial society. It used Riverside Cemetery (Saddlebrook, N.J.). Dissolved around 2004.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Association newsletter, The Voice, 1988-1892, 1996. Membership dues ledger, with notes on sick benefits and grave reservations. Grave reservations notebook. Membership lists, 1997, 2002. Burial and monument permit stubs, 1932-2002. Beneficiary designation forms, 1932-1988. Box 2: Constitution and by-laws (photocopy), 1947 (including membership list), with cover letter, 2002. Completed forms from members for update of membership information, 2002. Officer’s log of member transactions (grave reservations, burial and monument permits, donations), 1990-2002. Cemetery maps. Dissolution records, 2002-2004, including correspondence and photocopies of grave reservations records, with notes, and photocopies of cemetery deeds (1917-1935).

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page