Guide to the Records of the First Poltaver Brotherhood Aid Association of Greater New York
1958-2002

RG 1901

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: First Poltaver Brotherhood Aid Association of Greater New York
Collection Title: Records of the First Poltaver Brotherhood Aid Association of Greater New York
Dates:1958-2002
Abstract: These are the records of the First Poltaver Brotherhood Aid Association of Greater New York, a landsmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English
Physical Description: 0.42 Linear Feet
Identification: RG 1901
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Organized in New York in 1903 and incorporated on July 15, 1904, by immigrants from Poltava (Poltawa), then in the Russian Empire (today, Ukraine). Earlier known alternately as the First Poltaver Brotherly Aid Society and the First Poltaver Brotherly Aid Association of Greater New York. The Association provided sick and death benefits, maintained a loan fund, purchased graves, and functioned as a burial society. It also held social events in conjunction with meetings, and made regular charitable donations to Jewish causes and organizations. It used four cemeteries: Mount Zion, Beth David, Wellwood, and Mount Lebanon. Dissolved around 2002.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Deeds to graves (copies), 1968-2001. Grave reservation records related to Beth David Cemetery, 1967-1998, Wellwood Cemetery (including photocopy of cemetery map), 1968-2001, and Mount Lebanon Cemetery, 1968-1998. Card file of grave reservations. Correspondence with the State of New York concerning the reinstatement of the Association’s corporate existence, and its name of record, 1958. Correspondence with the Internal Revenue Service concerning the Association’s tax-exempt status, 1967-1968. Financial reports, 1966-1972. Blank application forms for loan fund. Meeting notice, 1971. Membership address lists. Correspondence concerning dissolution, 2002.

Return to the Top of Page

Related Materials

A souvenir program of the Association's 33rd anniversary celebration, January 4, 1936, is found in RG 123, File 242.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page