Guide to the Records of the Chevra Bnei Rabbi Menachem Mendel Anshei Dubrowa
1927-1979

RG 1906

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Chevra Bnei Rabbi Menachem Mendel Anshei Dubrowa (New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the Chevra Bnei Rabbi Menachem Mendel Anshei Dubrowa
Dates:1927-1979
Abstract: These are the records of the Chevra Bnei Rabbi Menachem Mendel Anshei Dubrowa, a landsmanshaft or benevolent association. The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: Yiddish, English, Hebrew
Physical Description: 0.63 Linear Feet
Identification: RG 1906
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Organized March 25, 1892 in New York by immigrants from Dubrowa (Dąbrowa Białstockȧ, Dąbrowa, Dombrove, Dombrowa) in the Russian Empire (today, Poland). The town is in the vicinity of Grodno (today in Belarus). Maintained a synagogue at 526 Georgia Avenue in Brooklyn from 1920 until around 1968. The society provided sick and funeral benefits, purchased graves, and functioned as a burial society. It also held social events and made charitable contributions. From 1946 on the society held an annual memorial meeting commemorating victims of the Holocaust. In 1967-1968, in collaboration with Irgun Jotzei Dombrowa n/Grodno in Israel, it collected funds to plant trees as a Dubrower memorial in the Martyrs Forest in Jerusalem. The society used three cemeteries: Washington, Mount Judah and Beth David.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Minutes, in Yiddish and English, 1961-1971. Meeting notices, in Yiddish and English, 1946, 1951-1979. Materials related to the Dubrower organization Irgun Jotzei Dombrowa n/Grodno in Israel, 1955-1975, including correspondence (in Yiddish and Hebrew), photographs, and donor lists, in part concerning collection of funds for the planting of trees as a Dubrower memorial in the Martyrs Forest in Jerusalem. Membership lists. Member address book and addresses on loose notes. Lists of grave reservations. Correspondence with members (from and to Philip Sidransky and Samuel Sidransky), 1927-1976. General releases, 1954, 1968. Agreements for purchase of graves, in Yiddish and English, circa 1957-1969. Fragment of contract related to sale of synagogue and land, circa 1968. Draft resolution, in English and Yiddish, concerning establishment of a fund to be called Reserve for Endowment. Form letter from committee in Dubrowa, circa 1920s-1930s, appealing to Dubrower landslayt for contributions to erect a building for the Jewish school. Admission tickets, 1934, and 1952-1953 (60th anniversary events). Clipping (concerning member Jacob Zeidman), circa 1930. Receipts for Israel Bonds, 1966-1971. Blank forms, in Hebrew/English and Yiddish, for Yad-Vashem Martyrs' and Heroes' Memorial Authority. Notes and drafts (includes poems). Box 2: Financial reports, 1956-1971. Miscellaneous financial notes. Certificates related to the Dubrower memorial in the Martyrs Forest, circa 1968. Certificate of merit for Philip Sidransky from the Hebron Yeshiva in Jerusalem.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page