Guide to the Records of the Piotrkov Trybunalski Relief Association
1941-2002

RG 1909

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Piotrkov Trybunalski Relief Association (New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the Piotrkov Trybunalski Relief Association
Dates:1941-2002
Abstract: These are the records of the Piotrkov Trybunalski Relief Association, a landsmanshaft or benevolent association. The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English, Yiddish, Hebrew, Polish
Physical Description: 1.96 Linear Feet
Identification: RG 1909
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Founded in New York in 1914 by immigrants from Piotrków Trybunalski (Petrikau, Petrikov, Petrokow, Piotrów, Piotrkow Trybunaski, Piotrkuv, Pyetrkov, Trybunalski), then in the Russian Empire (today, Poland). Originally devoted to relief efforts on behalf of the hometown. The Association was incorporated in 1959. It had a women’s auxiliary, the Petrokover Ladies Circle, which was separately incorporated in 1941. Primary activities in the 1960s to 1970s included annual commemoration of the victims of the Holocaust, charitable activities in Israel, and an annual Purim Party that raised funds for the purchase of Israel Bonds. In 1969 the Association erected a monument at Beth Israel Cemetery, Woodbridge, N.J., to the memory of Holocaust victims of the Association’s hometown.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Minute book, in Yiddish, 1970-1974. Cashbooks, 1965-1974. Ledger for member payments (dues, grave reservations, monuments, raffle books), 1968-1978. Records related to purchase of Israel Bonds (correspondence, donor lists, receipts, clippings, texts of speeches delivered at Purim Parties), in English and Yiddish, 1970-1978. Check stubs, 1966-1973. Box 2: Receipt books (carbon copies) for member payments (donations, dues), 1964-1975. Box 3: Minutes, report to membership, in Yiddish, 1965. Meeting notices, in English and Yiddish, 1961, 1965-1978. New Bulletin, December 2002. Piotrkov and Vicinity Society in New York Bulletins, and letters to membership, in Yiddish and English, 1965-1978. Correspondence with Piotrokov Trybunalski and Vicinity Association in Israel, in Yiddish, with some Polish, 1963-1967, in part concerning yizkor book. Essay on Moshe Feinkind, in Yiddish. Piotrokov Trybunalski and Vicinity Association in Israel notices and newsletters, in Hebrew and Yiddish, 1957, 1965-1968. Clippings, in Yiddish, concerning German reparations for Holocaust victims, 1961, 1963. Letter to World Federation of Polish Jews, in Yiddish, 1970. Acknowledgement from Chaim Sheba Medical Center for donation of plaque, 1976. Invitations, 1975-1978. Blank forms. Miscellaneous printed materials. Box 4: Certificate of incorporation, 1959. Petrokover Ladies Circle certificate of incorporation, 1941, and certificate of service from the United Jewish Appeal of Greater New York. Drawings related to engraving of the martyrs monument at Beth Israel Cemetery, circa 1968-1969. Box 5: Photographs (memorial meeting in New York, circa 1960s; old synagogue, memorial site, Poland). Unidentified negatives. Clippings, in Yiddish and English, with some Polish, 1965-1970, mainly related to Holocaust history and commemoration, and activities of Jewish Nazi Victims Organization. Box 6: Stone fragment. Box 7 (oversize): Group photographs, 1973. Photograph of martyrs monument at Beth Israel Cemetery, circa 1969. General ledger (probably relates to a different society; includes member dues, expenses, sick and funeral benefits, payments to Baron de Hirsch Cemetery), 1931-1939.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page