Guide to the Records of the Dzalishitzer Benevolent Association
1933-2008

RG 1910

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Violet Lutz.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Dzalishitzer Benevolent Association (New York, N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of the Dzalishitzer Benevolent Association
Dates:1933-2008
Abstract: These are the records of the Dzalishitzer Benevolent Association, a landsmanshaft or benevolent association. The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English, Yiddish
Physical Description: 1.77 Linear Feet
Identification: RG 1910
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Organized in March 1928 in New York by immigrants from Działoszyce (Dzialoshitz, Dzaloshitse, Zalazhtsy, Zaleshits, Zaloshits, Zaloshitz, Zalshits), Poland. Early in its history known as the Polish Jews Benevolent Association. The Association had the spiritual aim of upholding friendship among members and caring for the membership. It purchased graves and functioned as a burial society, provided sick and death benefits, made charitable contributions to Jewish organizations and causes, and held social events. In postwar years the Association honored Holocaust victims from Działoszyce and vicinity at an annual memorial meeting. It used Montefiore Cemetery. Disbanded around 2008.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Minutes, in English and Yiddish, 1977-1994 (in Yiddish through September 1980 and in English thereafter). Constitution, circa 1934, and revised version, undated. Transcript of oral remarks about the Association’s history by longtime member, 2006. Meeting notices, 1973-1979. Association records organized by year (including meeting notices, agendas, financial reports, correspondence, membership lists, receipts, and fliers from other organizations such as American Gathering of Jewish Holocaust Survivors, Warsaw Ghetto Resistance Organization, and Federation of Polish Jews), in English with some Yiddish, 1979-1984 (continues in Box 3). Box 2: Memorial book (“Golden book”), in Yiddish and English, 1931-1941. Burial permit book, 1933-1974. Monument permit stubs, 1969-1975. Payment receipt books, 1977-1993. Box 3: Association records (cont.), 1985-1990. Box 4: Association records (cont.), 1991-2006. Statement of member about last activities and end of the Association, 2008. Membership directory, 1981. Membership lists, circa 1972, 2001-2006. List of residents of Działoszyce killed in the Holocaust, and other materials from English translation of the Działoszyce yizkor book, printout from Internet (www.jewishgen.org), 2000. Check stubs, 1980-1985.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page