Guide to the Records of Congregation Bnai Peiser
1959-1984
RG 1690

Processed by Jerry Seligsohn. Additional processing, editing and encoding by Sarah Ponichtera.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research

Center for Jewish History

15 West 16th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 246-6080

Fax: (212) 292-1892

Email: archives@yivo.cjh.org

URL: http://www.yivoinstitute.org

(c)2012 YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. All rights reserved.
Center for Jewish History, Publisher.
This file was automatically encoded in EAD 2002 by Archon 3.14 from an SQL database source in 2013. Manual edits were applied by Center for Jewish History archivists to refine the code in accordance with Center standards and to enable processing via local stylesheets.

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Congregation Bnai Peiser (N.Y.)
Collection Title: Records of Congregation Bnai Peiser
Dates:1959-1984
Abstract: These are the records of Congregation Bnai Peiser, a landmanshaft or benevolent association. Upon the dissolution of the society, the records were collected by the New York State Department of Insurance. Although many of these societies were founded around the turn of the twentieth century, the records collected in this way primarily date from the second half of the century (1950-2000). The landsmanshaftn collections generally include constitutions, by-laws, minutes, correspondence with members, financial ledgers, deeds to graves, cemetery maps, and membership lists. For details on this particular collection, see the scope and content note.
Language of Materials: English, Yiddish
Physical Description: 1.71 Linear Feet
Identification: RG 1690
Repository: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Return to the Top of Page

Administrative History

Founded in 1871 by immigrants from Peiser (Pyzdry, Peisern, 56 km ESE of Poznan in Poland).  The organization managed a synagogue on the Lower East Side until 1914, and conducted charitable and mutual aid activities until WWII.  In its later years the organization primarily functioned as a burial society, using the Acacia, Bayside, and Beth David cemeteries.

Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Contents

This finding aid is a collection-level record. Box and folder list, if any, are found here in the scope and content note.

Box 1: Financial Ledger, 1959-1975.  Dues Ledger, 1960-1984.  Expense Voucher Book, 1958-1970.  Membership Ledger, 1950-1972.  Check receipts.  Box 2:  General Correspondence, 1968-1997.  Grave Purchases (Indentures and Deeds), 1935, 1960-1985.  Receipt Book.  Cemetery Maps.  Box 3:  Correspondence about Dues, 1952-1992.  Correspondence about Ownership of Graves, 1955-1993.  Correspondence about Cemetery Care, 1956-1991.  Authorizations of Internment, 1950-1987.  Correspondence about Monuments, 1950-1997.  Correspondence about Meetings and Amended Constitution, 1945.  Cemetery Correspondence, 1959-1997.  Box 4:  Bills, 1962-1968.  Banking Records, 1953-1994.  Membership Contact Information, 1969.  Correspondence Expelling Members, 1950-1968.  Letters of Condolence, 1950-1985.  Acknowledgment of Donations, 1950-1967.  Financial Reports, 1960-1967.  General Correspondence, 1950-1961. Legal Correspondence about Cemetery Matters, 1965-1967.  Membership Rosters.  Addendum: Photocopy of Minute Books, 1925-1974.  Ann Mitchell's analysis of the minute books, 2004.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page