Guide to the Papers of Adolph Hubbard, undated, 1918-1972, [bulk 1918]
 
*P-647

Processed by Kelsey Sawyer

American Jewish Historical Society, New England Archives

99-101 Newbury St.

Boston, Massachusetts

Phone: (617) 226-1245

Email: reference@ajhsboston.org

URL: http://www.ajhsboston.org

© 2014, American Jewish Historical Society, Boston, MA and New York, NY. All Rights Reserved.
Machine-readable finding aid created by Kelsey Sawyer as MS Word document, June 19, 2012. Finding aid was encoded by Christine McEvilly on July 19, 2012. Description is in English.

Descriptive Summary

Creator: Hubbard, Adolph, 1884-1971
Title: Adolph Hubbard Papers
Dates:undated, 1918-1972, [bulk 1918]
Abstract: Adolph Hubbard was a Boston area lawyer and co-founder of the Zionist Organization of America. In 1918, he was appointed as Administrator of the American Zionist Medical Unit by Louis D. Brandeis, and traveled to Palestine to aid in the provision of medical services and establish the American Jewish Hospital. From the 1930s to 1950s, Hubbard was an active and leading member of Zionist organizations. Following his death in 1971, $10,000 was given in his name to establish a Nahala through the Jewish National Fund. The tract of land is located in the Judean Hills, and is leased to Jewish settlers of Mevo Beitar for cultivation.
Languages: The collection is in English, French, and Hebrew.
Quantity: .25 linear feet (1 manuscript box)
Identification: P-647
Repository: American Jewish Historical Society
Location: Located in AJHS Boston, MA
Return to the Top of Page

Biographical Note1

Adolph Hubbard was born in Kutno, Poland on December 24, 1884 to Nathan and Rose Hubbard. The family came to the United States in 1888 and settled in Boston. Adolph attended Boston English High School and Bowdoin College. Around 1910, he lived in Shinglehouse, Pennsylvania where he worked as a superintendent at a bottle factory. He was also an associative editor of a weekly Boston publication alongside prominent Zionist leader Jacob de Haas. In 1912, Adolph Hubbard was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar.

Hubbard was an early Zionist member and was one of the founding members of the Zionist Organization of America (ZOA). In 1918, he went to Palestine as secretary of the first medical unit sent to Palestine by a special committee, the Restoration Fund, organized under the Chairmanship of Justice Louis D. Brandeis, on behalf of the Federation of Zionist America. For the American Zionist Medical Unit, he was appointed to help establish the American Jewish Hospital in Palestine and oversee equipment, medical supplies, physicians and personnel. Adolph Hubbard was also the librarian of the Palestine Emergency Council in New York; executive director of New England Region, ZOA in the 1930s; field secretary of the ZOA in New York from 1939-1941; and a member of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. He retired from the American Zionist Council in 1955.

He died on March 7, 1971 at Beth Israel Hospital. In 1972, his sister Anne subscribed $10,000 for the establishment of a Nahala in her brother’s memory. “Nahala” is Hebrew for inheritance; in this particular instance it refers to land purchased for a moshav, or agricultural settlement. The Nahala of Adolph Hubbard is located in the Judean Hills and leased for cultivation to settlers of nearby Mevo Beitar.

Chronology

1884 Born in Kutno, Poland on December 24th.
1888 Immigrated to the United States with his family.
1902 Attended Bowdoin College on scholarship.
1912 Admitted to the Massachusetts Bar.
1918 Part of the first medical unit sent to Palestine; helped establish the American Jewish Hospital.
1930s-1955 Active member and leader for Zionist organizations.
1971 Died at Beth Israel Hospital on March 7th.
1972 $10,000 given for the Nahala of Adolph Hubbard on a tract of land in the Judean Hills.
Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Content Note

The Papers of Adolph Hubbard consist of correspondence and authorization reproductions, original photographs, mainly depicting his trip to Palestine as part of the American Zionist Medical Unit, news clippings, obituaries and prayer cards, and a testimonial issued by the Jewish National Fund for his Nahala outside of Jerusalem. Materials are organized chronologically.

Return to the Top of Page

Arrangement

The collection is arranged into a single series as follows:

Return to the Top of Page

Access and Use

Access Restrictions

The collection is open to all researchers by permission of the Director of Library and Archives of the American Jewish Historical Society, except items that are restricted due to their fragility.

Use Restrictions

Information concerning the literary rights may be obtained from the Director of Library and Archives of the American Jewish Historical Society. Users must apply in writing for permission to quote, reproduce or otherwise publish manuscript materials found in this collection. For more information contact:
American Jewish Historical Society, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
email: reference@ajhs.org

Return to the Top of Page

Preferred Citation

Published citations should take the following form:
Identification of item, date (if known); Adolph Hubbard Papers; P-647; box number; folder number; American Jewish Historical Society, Boston, MA and New York, NY.

Return to the Top of Page

Acquisition Information

No accession information available.

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page

Container List

The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.

 

Series I: Adolph Hubbard, undated, 1918-1972

English, French, and Hebrew
Box 1, Folders 1-5
Arrangement:

Arranged by type.

Scope and Content:

See Collection Scope and Content Note.

BoxFolderTitleDate
1 1 Correspondence and Authorization Reproductions undated, 1915-1961
1 2 Photographs undated, 1918
1 3 News Clippings undated, 1967
1 4 Obituaries 1971
1 5 Jewish National Fund Testimonial 1972
Return to the Top of Page