Guide to the Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center (Everett, Mass.) Records,
undated, 1928-2015
 
I-592

Processed by Meghan Pipp

Jewish Heritage Center at NEHGS

99-101 Newbury St.

Boston, MA 02116

Email: jhcreference@nehgs.org

URL: jewishheritagecenter.org

© 2018  Jewish Heritage Center at NEHGS, Boston, MA. All Rights Reserved.
Machine-readable finding aid created by Meghan Pipp as MS Word document, April 19, 2017. Finding aid was encoded by Meghan Pipp on April 19, 2017. Description is in English.

Descriptive Summary

Creator: Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center (Everett, Mass.)
Title: Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center (Everett, Mass.) Records
Dates:undated, 1928-2015
Abstract: Congregation Tifereth Israel was founded in Everett in 1910 and dedicated their first synagogue in 1912. After working in close partnership for nearly 30 years, Congregation Tifereth Israel merged with Everett Hebrew School and Community School to become Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center in 1955. In 2016, Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center merged with the North Shore Chabad Lubavitch. This collection contains meeting minutes, news clippings, photographs, newsletters, and programs documenting the activities and operations of the synagogue, community center, and Hebrew school.
Languages: The collection is in English and Hebrew.
Quantity: 6.8 linear feet (2 document boxes, 1 manuscript box, 2 oversized boxes)
Identification: I-592
Repository: American Jewish Historical Society
Location: Located in AJHS Boston, MA
Return to the Top of Page

Historical Note

Congregation Tifereth Israel Community Center

In 1910, the Jewish community of Everett, Massachusetts formed Congregation Tifereth Israel. The congregation immediately set about raising money to build a synagogue, and in 1912, dedicated the city of Everett's first synagogue, located at 34 Malden Street. The congregation discharged its mortgage for the synagogue building in 1923.

Shortly after the burning of the mortgage, several community congregation members began organizing and raising money for a community center and Hebrew school. In 1928, this group formally incorporated as Everett Hebrew School and Community Center and dedicated their new schoolhouse. That same year, the Ladies Auxiliary of the Everett Hebrew School and Community Center was established under the leadership of Jennie (Mogulesky) Gorovitz. The Everett Hebrew School and Community Center hired Rabbi Symcha Gordon to serve as spiritual leader for them and Congregation Tifereth Israel. Up to this point, religious services had been conducted by congregation members and the congregation did not feel hiring the services of a rabbi was necessary. Since its establishment in 1928, the Everett Hebrew School and Congregation Tifereth Israel worked in partnership with each other. The two organizations officially merged in 1955 to become Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center. The Ladies Auxiliary of the Everett Hebrew School and Community Center became the Congregation Tifereth Israel Sisterhood.

The new Congregation Tifereth Israel served a growing Jewish community, providing a myriad of services and education for children. In 1967, the congregation dedicated a new, combined synagogue and community center building. They discharged their mortgage for this building in 1971. In 1982, the building was severely damaged by an electrical fire. The congregation’s Torahs were saved by three fire department chaplains. Congregation Tifereth Israel rebuilt and rededicated their synagogue and community center in 1983.

Due to decreased enrollment and increased expenses, the congregation’s Hebrew school merged with Winthrop Hebrew School of Temple Tifereth Israel in Winthrop, Massachusetts. In 1988, the annual Rose and Samuel Henken Lecture Series was established. This series, sponsored by the Henken family, recruited prominent members of the Jewish community to speak at Congregation Tifereth Israel as a means to inspire more members and bring in revenue. Notable speakers included former Massachusetts governor Michael Dukakis and scholar Jessica Stern.

Due to continued decrease in membership, Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center did not hire a new rabbi when Rabbi Nehemia Polen left in 1996. The congregation entered into an agreement to share services with Congregation Agudas Achim in Malden, Massachusetts. When that agreement terminated in 2003, services at Congregation Tifereth Israel were held by community members. In 2016, Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center merged with the North Shore Chabad Lubavitch. The congregation continues to use its building at 34 Malden Street.

References

"Combined Hebrew School Making Strides." Jewish Advocate, March 4, 1982. Accessed April 19, 2017. https://search.proquest.com/docview/870777264?accountid=35480.

"Everett Hebrew School." Jewish Advocate, September 15, 1949. Accessed April 19, 2017. https://search.proquest.com/docview/881232745?accountid=35480.

"Everett Honors Rabbi Cohen at Reception." Jewish Advocate, July 19, 1945. Accessed April 19, 2017. https://search.proquest.com/docview/881222200/pageviewPDF/36686604F403495FPQ/1?accountid=35480.

"United Everett Group Installation." Jewish Advocate, September 1, 1955. Accessed April 19, 2017. https://search.proquest.com/docview/881119173/pageviewPDF/9A6189B4ACCC4FF5PQ/1?accountid=35480.

Chronology

1910 Congregation Tifereth Israel is founded in Everett, Massachusetts.
1912 Congregation dedicates its synagogue on Malden Street in Everett.
1923 Congregation Tifereth Israel discharges its mortgage for the Malden Street synagogue.
1928 The Everett Hebrew School and Community Center officially incorporates and dedicates their new schoolhouse.
1928 The Ladies Auxiliary of the Everett Hebrew School and Community Center is formed under the leadership of Jennie (Mogulesky) Gorovitz.
1934 Rabbi Chaim Goldin is hired as spiritual leader of Everett Hebrew School and Community Center and Congregation Tifereth Israel.
1937 Rabbi Symcha Gordon is hired as spiritual leader and principal of Everett Hebrew School.
1943 Rabbi Eugene Cohen is hired as spiritual leader.
1944 Everett Hebrew School and Community Center discharges its mortgage.
1945 Rabbi Eugene Cohen is commissioned as an army chaplain and leaves the congregation.
1949 Rabbi David H. Weisenberg is hired as spiritual leader.
1953 25th Anniversary of Everett Hebrew School and Community Center.
1955 Congregation Tifereth Israel officially merges with Everett Hebrew School and Community Center to become Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center.
1956 Rabbi Herbert H. Witkin is hired as spiritual leader.
1961 William Herskowitz serves as spiritual leader.
1962 Rabbi Harry Brazil is hired as spiritual leader.
1965 Rabbi David S. Polen is hired as spiritual leader.
1966 Groundbreaking begins for the new synagogue and community center.
1967 The new synagogue and community center is dedicated.
1971 Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center discharge their mortgage.
1973 Rabbi David S. Polen passes away.
1973 Rabbi Nehemia Polen, son of Rabbi David S. Polen, is hired as spiritual leader.
1980 Congregation Tifereth Israel celebrates the bar mitzvah of their new building.
1981 Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center’s school merges with the Winthrop Hebrew School of Temple Tifereth Israel of Winthrop and forms New Community Hebrew School.
1982 Congregation Tifereth Israel’s synagogue is severely damaged by a fire.
1983 The reconstructed synagogue and community center is dedicated.
1985 Congregation Tifereth Israel celebrates its 70th Anniversary.
1985-1986 Rabbi Yosef Wosk serves as interim spiritual leader of the Congregation while Rabbi Nehemia Polen is on sabbatical as the Visiting Scholar at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel.
1988 The annual Rose and Samuel Henken Lecture Series is established.
1991 Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center celebrates its 75th Anniversary.
1996 Rabbi Nehemia Polen leaves Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center.
1996 Congregation Tifereth Israel enters into an agreement with Rabbi Samuel Lavitsky of Congregation Agudas Achim in Malden to hold joint services.
2003 The agreement with Congregation Agudas Achim of Malden ends.
2008 Congregation Tifereth Israel celebrates its 100th Anniversary.
2009 The annual Rose and Samuel Henken lecture series is discontinued.
2016 Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center merges with the North Shore Chabad Lubavitch.
Return to the Top of Page

Scope and Content Note

The Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center Records contains news clippings, meeting minutes, photographs, newsletters, programs, blueprints, and awards documenting the operations and activities of the Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center. Some audiovisual items have been removed from the collection for proper storage. These items are identified with a separation of materials form.

Return to the Top of Page

Arrangement

The collection is arranged into six series as follows:

Return to the Top of Page

Access and Use

Access Restrictions

The collection is open to all researchers by permission of the Director of Collections and Engagement of the American Jewish Historical Society, except items that are restricted due to their fragility.

Use Restrictions

Information concerning the literary rights may be obtained from the Director of Library and Archives of the American Jewish Historical Society. Users must apply in writing for permission to quote, reproduce or otherwise publish manuscript materials found in this collection. For more information contact:
American Jewish Historical Society, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
email: reference@ajhs.org

Return to the Top of Page

Related Material

Combined Jewish Philanthropies, I-220

Return to the Top of Page

Preferred Citation

Published citations should take the following form:
Identification of item, date (if known); Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center (Everett, Mass.) Records; I-592; box number; folder number; Jewish Heritage Center at NEHGS.

Return to the Top of Page

Acquisition Information

Donated by Earl Spivak, 2015

Return to the Top of Page

Access Points

This collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Click on a subject to search that term in the Center's catalog. Return to the Top of Page

Container List

The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.

Click the box in the request column to learn more about viewing materials at the Jewish Heritage Center at NEHGS.

 

Series I: Anniversaries and Celebrations, 1952-2008

English and Hebrew.
Boxes 1, 4OS.
Arrangement:

Arranged alphabetically.

Scope and Content:

The series contains records relating to Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center’s anniversaries and celebrations. This includes notices and advertisements for events, as well as photographs, event programs, guest lists, news clippings, and video recordings. One oversized folder contains photographs of Everett Hebrew School and Community Center’s 25th anniversary celebration. Some audiovisual items have been removed from the collection for proper storage. These items are identified with a separation of materials form.

BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
OS4125th Anniversary Dinner 1952request_box
BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
1170th Anniversary Dinner1985request_box
1270th Anniversary Dinner—Photographs1985request_box
1375th Anniversary Celebration1991request_box
1475th Anniversary Celebration—Photographs1991request_box
15100th Anniversary Celebration2008request_box
16Bar Mitzvah Celebration1980request_box
17Bar Mitzvah Celebration—Photographs1980request_box
18Building Dedication Celebration1967request_box
19Building Dedication Celebration—Photographs1967request_box
110Building Dedication Celebration—Photographs1967request_box
111Building Rededication Celebration1983request_box
112Building Rededication Celebration—Photographs1983request_box
113Millennium Celebration1999request_box
114Mortgage Burning Celebration1971request_box
115Mortgage Burning Celebration—Photographs1971request_box
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series II: Building, undated, 1952-2007

English.
Boxes 1, OS4.
Arrangement:

Arranged alphabetically.

Scope and Content:

The series contains records relating to the synagogue and community center buildings owned and operated by Congregation Tifereth Israel. The bulk of the materials are photographs and news clippings that document the 1982 electrical fire which severely damaged the synagogue and community center and the subsequent efforts to rebuild the structures. Other materials include blueprints and building permits and inspections.

BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
OS42Blueprints—Oversizedundated, 1982-1983request_box
OS43Blueprints—Oversizedundated, 1982-1983request_box
BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
116Fire and Reconstruction1982-1983request_box
117Fire and Reconstruction—Photographs1982-1983request_box
118Fire and Reconstruction—Photographs1982-1983request_box
119Groundbreaking Ceremony1966request_box
120Groundbreaking Ceremony—Photographs1966request_box
121Miscellaneousundated, 1952request_box
122Permits and Inspections2007request_box
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series III: General, undated, 1928-2014

English and Hebrew.
Box 1, OS4, OS5.
Arrangement:

Arranged alphabetically.

Scope and Content:

The series relates to general member activities of Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center. This includes awards and citations received and distributed by the congregation, newsletters, records of prayer book sales, a history of the institution, the congregation's Golden Book, and brochures, flyers, programs, and news clippings documenting events, services, and the day-to-day activities of the congregation. Two oversized folders contain awards, citations, and seating charts for High Holiday services.

BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
123Awards1984-2013request_box
BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
OS44Awards—Oversized2008request_box
OS4Awards—Plaque1975request_box
OS4Awards—Gavelsundatedrequest_box
BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
124Brochures, Flyers, and Programsundated, 1939-2014request_box
125Bulletins1981-2009request_box
126Bulletins1981-2009request_box
BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
OS5Everett Hebrew School and Community Center Golden Book1928-1984request_box
BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
OS45High Holidays Seating Chart1993-2014request_box
BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
127Historyundatedrequest_box
128Miscellaneousundated, 1946-2000request_box
129Prayer Book Sales1978-1980request_box
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series IV: Governance, undated, 1959-2015

English, Hebrew, and Yiddish.
Box 2.
Arrangement:

Arranged alphabetically.

Scope and Content:

The series relates to the operations of Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center. The bulk of the series includes Board of Directors meeting minutes spanning from 1959-2015. Among other things, these meeting minutes document financial and membership information, planning for services and events, operations of the Hebrew School, and the merger with the North Shore Chabad Lubavitch. The series also includes meeting attendance records, bylaws, and the Massachusetts state record of the organization.

BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
21Board of Directors Meeting Minutes1959-1966request_box
22Board of Directors Meeting Minutes1966-1973request_box
23Board of Directors Meeting Minutes1973-1980request_box
24Board of Directors Meeting Minutes1973-1980request_box
25Board of Directors Meeting Minutes1980-1984request_box
26Board of Directors Meeting Minutes1985-1988request_box
27Board of Directors Meeting Minutes1991-1997request_box
28Board of Directors Meeting Minutes1997-2002request_box
29Board of Directors Meeting Minutes1997-2002request_box
210Board of Directors Meeting Minutes2002-2012request_box
211Board of Directors Meeting Minutes2002-2012request_box
212Board of Directors Meeting Minutes2012-2015request_box
213Board of Directors Membership and Meeting Attendance Records1979-2015request_box
214Bylaws1997request_box
215Massachusetts State Record of Organization2007request_box
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series V: Photographs, undated, 1940-2014

English and Hebrew.
Box 2, OS6.
Arrangement:

Arranged alphabetically.

Scope and Content:

This series contains photographs documenting events and activities of the congregation, including Hebrew School graduations, parties, weddings, and other miscellaneous events.

BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
216Board of Directors and Officersundatedrequest_box
217Chanukah Breakfast2000request_box
218Hebrew School Graduationsundated, 1945-1976request_box
BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
31Miscellaneousundated, 1983-2014request_box
32Miscellaneous Eventsundated, 1940-2001request_box
33Miscellaneous Eventsundated, 1940-2001request_box
34New Years' Partyundatedrequest_box
BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
OS46Weddingsundatedrequest_box
Return to the Top of Page
 

Series VI: Sisterhood, undated, 1960-1998

English and Hebrew.
Box 3.
Arrangement:

Arranged alphabetically.

Scope and Content:

This series contains materials relating to the Congregation Tifereth Israel Sisterhood, including meeting minutes, membership information, flyers, mailings, programs, and photographs.

BoxFolderTitleDateRequest
35Flyers, Mailings, and Programs1983-1995request_box
36Meeting Minutes1991-1995request_box
37Membership and Meeting Attendanceundated, 1990-1998request_box
38Photographsundated, 1960-1961request_box
Return to the Top of Page